Patch 
Posted: 08-May-2010, 05:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

Uta's senator Bennet was forced off the ballot today based on claims that he was not conservative enough for the people of Utah. The Tea Party supported candidate had the edge though did not get the required 60% to avoid a primary run off.

The tea party opposition to non performing candidates crosses party lines.

Slàinte,   

Patch    

PMEmail Poster               
Jillian 
Posted: 09-May-2010, 06:52 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Brittany
ZodiacOak

Realm: Pennsylvania

female

In a Newser article, it was quoted that Mitt Romney stated, "With the sweep and arrogance of the liberal onslaught today in Washington, we need Bob Bennett's skill and loyalty and power".

I guess I would have to counter that the Republicans had enough time - including Mr. Bennet an almost 20-year incumbent - to use his "skill", "loyalty", and "power" to be fiscally conservative and not get behind this socialized health care. The man sits on the Senate Appropriations Committee and is supposed to bring fiscal discipline to Washington. I hope it's a trend that continues.

Jillian

--------------------

"Disappointments are inevitable. Discouragement is a choice."
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Patch 
Posted: 09-May-2010, 09:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

The Tea Party movement is working hard to see that it does. I would expect that there will be more and from "both' parties.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
MacEoghainn 
Posted: 09-May-2010, 02:43 PM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rìgh
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

And yet this narcissistic career politician feels himself so indispensable that he apparently plans on running as a write-in candidate. We have the same problem here in Florida with Charlie NarciCrist, oops I mean Gov. Charlie Crist.

God please save us from these narcissistic career politicians! sad.gif

--------------------
MacE
AKA
Steve Ewing

I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. Job 19:25

"Non sibi sed patriae!"

Reviresco (I grow strong again)
Clan MacEwen motto

Audaciter (Audacity)
My Ewing Family Motto
(descendants of Baron William Ewing of Glasgow, born about 1630)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.
Patch 
Posted: 09-May-2010, 10:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

I believe Bennet is in his 70's, time to retire for sure. With the vote split in the convention and the fact that a primary will be held, I do not understand where he will get votes! He stepped on his constituents too many times!

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Jillian 
Posted: 10-May-2010, 05:07 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Brittany
ZodiacOak

Realm: Pennsylvania

female

i read this and saw the last paragraph (which I have bolded) and literally shook my head. They really are out of touch and really don't get it. What have conservative Americans been saying now for almost a year? We don't care who you are--if you haven't been listening and representing conservative views--we're voting you out! Apparently Bob Bennett didn't take it seriously. Your party does not a vote make Mr. Bennett....

Sen. Bob Bennett Ousted at Utah GOP Convention
Saturday, 08 May 2010 06:37 Newsmax

SALT LAKE CITY – Republican Sen. Bob Bennett was thrown out of office Saturday by delegates at the Utah GOP convention in a stunning defeat for a once-popular three-term incumbent who fell victim to a growing conservative movement nationwide.

Bennett's failure to make it into Utah's GOP primary — let alone win his party's nomination — makes him the first congressional incumbent to be ousted this year and demonstrates the difficult challenges candidates are facing from the right in 2010.

"The political atmosphere obviously has been toxic and it's very clear that some of the votes that I have cast have added to the toxic environment," an emotional Bennett told reporters, choking back tears.

"Looking back on them, with one or two very minor exceptions, I wouldn't have cast any of them any differently even if I had known at the time they were going to cost me my career."

Bennett survived a first round of voting Saturday among roughly 3,500 delegates but was eliminated when he finished a distant third in the second round. He garnered just under 27 percent of the vote while businessman Tim Bridgewater had 37 percent and attorney Mike Lee got 36 percent.

A third round of voting was being held later Saturday to pick a winner between Bridgewater and Lee; if neither gets 60 percent of the delegates' support in the final round, a June 22 primary will determine the victor.

"Don't take a chance on a newcomer," Bennett had pleaded in his brief speech to the delegates before the second round of voting began. "There's too much at stake."

Yet that urging, and Bennett's endorsements by the National Rifle Association and former presidential candidate Mitt Romney, did little to stave off anger toward the Washington establishment from delegates.

"The bailout bothers me. That in and of itself is unforgivable in my opinion," said delegate Scott White, a 58-year-old general contractor from Taylorsville.

Bennett, 76, initially faced seven Republican opponents who said he wasn't conservative enough for ultraconservative Utah. Lee, 38, and Bridgewater, 49, campaigned largely by saying they're better suited to rein in government spending than Bennett.

"I will fight every day as your U.S. senator for limited government, to end the cradle-to-grave entitlement mentality, for a balanced budget, to protect our flag, our borders and our national security and for bills that can be read before they receive a final vote in congress," Lee said in his convention speech.

Opposition to Bennett couldn't be chalked up solely to general anti-incumbency fervor, however. Neither of Utah's two Republican congressmen are at risk of losing their seats, and Republican Gov. Gary Herbert doesn't have any serious challengers.

Bennett was under fire for voting to bail out Wall Street, co-sponsoring a bipartisan bill mandating health insurance coverage and for aggressively pursuing earmarks. He tried to reassure delegates Saturday, before any voting, that he is a fiscal conservative.

"You want to get deficits under control. I have authored bills to rein in the entitlement spending that now makes up two-thirds of the federal budget," Bennett said. "I've already voted for a balanced budget amendment three times and I will again while making certain that it won't be turned into a tax increase for Democrats. Our tax burden is already too high."

Some delegates, who tend to be more conservative than other Utah Republicans, were also upset he's still in office after initially promising to only serve two terms when first elected in 1992.

Romney introduced Bennett on Saturday — to a mix of cheers and boos.

"Today, he faces an uphill battle at this convention," Romney acknowledged in his speech. "Some may disagree with a handful of his votes or simply want a new face. But with the sweep and arrogance of the liberal onslaught today in Washington, we need Bob Bennett's skill, and intellect and loyalty."

In his 2004 campaign, Bennett didn't run a single television commercial and won a third term in the general election with 69 percent of the vote.

The 2010 campaign was clearly different. He acknowledged he should have spent more time in Utah the past couple of years letting Republican activists get to know him, but didn't imagine Republicans would be angry enough with Washington to target one of their own.

Jillian
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
MacEoghainn 
Posted: 10-May-2010, 06:29 AM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rìgh
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

Here is the real problem with most politicians: Bob Bennett "...going to cost me my career."

Elected office is supposed to be about service not a career! rolleyes.gif
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]