> The Passion Of The Christ, your opinion
CelticRoz 
Posted: 12-Mar-2004, 12:35 AM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

Would love to know who saw this movie and what your opinions are!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Elspeth 
Posted: 12-Mar-2004, 05:11 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

I thought of asking that very same question! Great minds think alike.

It was pretty much what I expected. Powerful and at times unwatchable. It is powerful to have a visual image of Christ's voluntary suffering. It is so easy to think of Christ as walking 6 inches above the ground. Never really getting dirty, not feeling things the same way we do, after all He is the Son of God. Seeing the visual helps dispel that image.

I did have some artistic questions. I liked the personification of evil in the devil being with him in the garden. I never really thought of that time as a temptation and it was interesting to see it portrayed that way. I do want to know the symbolism of the evil baby in the arms of the devil when Christ was being flogged. Some things have been suggested to me. I wonder what you all think.

And I was very glad they ended with the Rssurection. smile.gif

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
stevenpd 
Posted: 12-Mar-2004, 10:03 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fountain Valley, Calif.

male

QUOTE (Elspeth @ Mar 12 2004, 03:11 AM)
I did have some artistic questions. I liked the personification of evil in the devil being with him in the garden. I never really thought of that time as a temptation and it was interesting to see it portrayed that way. I do want to know the symbolism of the evil baby in the arms of the devil when Christ was being flogged. Some things have been suggested to me. I wonder what you all think.

A very moving film. It certainly brought the last hours of Christ to life and provided flesh to the esoteric.

Could the baby be the personification of the of indifference? Christ's life, death and subsequent reserrection effectively ended confusion about God's desire for anyone that hears the message. Christ's life was entirely about a positive faith, a faith that could move mountains. And he paid for that ultimate example of faith with his life.

--------------------

user posted image

Vote in the 2018 Music Awards

Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer "am I worth dying for?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
-- Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)
Shamalama 
Posted: 13-Mar-2004, 06:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Conyers, GA

male

This was one of the most powerful two hours, and certainly the most soul-touching events I can remember.

Sometimes just reading from the Bible the words get "dry". But to be able to see it, even through Mel's eyes, made it more real, if just for a few hours.

--------------------

Clan Mac Cullaich:
- Brewed in Scotland
- Bottled in Ulster
- Uncorked in America

Common Folk Using Common Sense
PMEmail Poster               
tsargent62 
Posted: 13-Mar-2004, 07:16 PM
Quote Post

Lord Socknoggle

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Lake Orion, Michigan

male

I'm aching to see this film. I hope to see it soon.

--------------------

Cheers!
Todd

Normal is a relative term. For some reason it is not a term my relatives use to describe me.

PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 13-Mar-2004, 07:21 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Todd! I have not seen it either. It is very hard for me to go to the theatre as I hate going so much, but that is no excuse! I really need to go see it. However, I have a feeling it will be out on DVD very soon and that's when I plan to see it over and over!
tsargent62 
Posted: 13-Mar-2004, 08:13 PM
Quote Post

Lord Socknoggle

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Lake Orion, Michigan

male

I get the feeling that to get the full impact of this film you need to see it in the theatre. Why do you hate going so much?
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 13-Mar-2004, 08:38 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Todd! I have a back problem that causes me pain to sit in those chairs, but that is a poor excuse. I hate that I always get some tall fat head sitting in front of me. I hate it that people sitting behind me are talking and I am trying hard enough to get the full magnitude of what is being said.............enough excuses? rolleyes.gif smile.gif
Arianrhod 
Posted: 13-Mar-2004, 08:59 PM
Quote Post

Lady of Starlight and Petal

ZodiacVine

Realm: Barony-Marche of the Debatable Lands

female

After seeing a picture in the New York Times, from the film..
I honestly don't think I could sit thru this film...
Eight years of Catholic School, the Stations of the Cross..
Bible Study ..
None of this prepared me for the image I saw that day...
I felt as if I were physicaly struck !

Even with what I do for a living.. that picture shook me to my bones..

I hope someone can share this movie with me here..
I do want to know how it is ...and I hope it brings Love and Peace ..
as opposed to all the Anti-Semite comments ...
That has been a large topic at work, since the movie came out..

In Service to the Dream,
Paula

--------------------
Proud member of Clan Mac Roni , CEO of The KDC

The curve is mightier than the sword ...

"He's twitching, because ,
mah axe is embedded in
his nervious system " !
LOTR
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 13-Mar-2004, 10:28 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Paula! I spent 25 years of my life being a Catholic! Besides all my other excuses, I have a problem with seeing graphically My Savior being being smitten and beaten on screen. The Bible itself is horrific enough on that event. I will definitely see it, but most likely in my own home where I can ball my eyes out in privacy..............as chicken as that may sound.
Annabelle 
  Posted: 13-Mar-2004, 10:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

Hey you do what's best for you. If you need the privacy then do it.

I myself feel a great desire to see this movie no matter where it is shown at.
What ever I endure during this film will in no way be sizable in comparison for what he did for me.

I have never felt worthy of his love. I know I am going to feel even more unworthy of his forgiveness once I see this film.

A

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 13-Mar-2004, 11:14 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Thank you Annabelle! You are the only one who has told me that. Everybody else keeps telling me I need to see it on big screen, but I just feel that where ever I see it..........big screen or in my home.............it is going to have a major impact on me, no matter what!
andylucy 
Posted: 14-Mar-2004, 06:41 AM
Quote Post

High Chief Of The Dartboard
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: Western Kentucky

male

I finally, FINALLY, got to see The Passion. Let me tell you, it won't matter a whit whether you see it on the big screen or not. It is a powerful piece of cinema, whether you see it in the theater or on TV. It is the message that stirs, just as much as the visuals.

I cannot remember the last time I cried at a movie. I'm not sure if I ever have. I sure did during this one. To see the scourging (by my watch, the actual lashing lasted 11 minutes) and know that He did that for me, and how little I deserve it, it just got to me. I had a strong urge to get to Confession.

To see the crown of thorns jammed onto His head. To see the ridicule and mocking and abuse He suffered.

To see the agony that Mary went through, watching her Son tortured and killed, it tore at my heart. It really gives new meaning to the Sorrowful mysteries of the Rosary.

To see the crucifixion, to see the nails driven into His hands. To see the nails driven into His feet. To see the blood dripping from His torn body. To see the love that Jim Caviezel was able to portray, with one eye, through all the blood make-up, the portrayal of Christ's love for all of us, it pierced my heart like a spear.

I tried to remain somewhat clinical during this movie, to examine it theologically. It was impossible for me to do this. The movie was theologically sound, but this assessment is based on my gut reaction to the film, not to any intellectual analysis on my part. I'm not sure if any believing Christian could remain clinically aloof during this movie.

The final scene, at the Resurrection. It was so subtle, but so hope filled.

All I can say otherwise is, Wow. thumbs_up.gif

Just my tuppence.

Andy

--------------------
Just my tuppence.

Andy

Never drink to excess; you might shoot at a tax collector and miss. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.

TANSTAAFL

If a person doesn't believe in something, he'll soon believe in anything. - G. K. Chesterton

9-1-1: state sponsored Dial-A-Prayer
PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 14-Mar-2004, 07:06 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

Rose, by all means, see it where it is comfortable for you, if comfortable is a word that can be used in connection with this movie.

I will share with you our experience and what others told me as well. No one makes a sound the entire movie. And when it is over people just sit there, soundless.

I will be one of those annoying people who advocate the big screen experience. In part because to sit in the darkened room with others was simultaniously a very private and personal experience as well as a fellowship one. But if you can't see or your back hurts, it wil detract you from the film so definately do what you need to do.

Paula, any questions you have - just ask. I didn't read or listen to any of the pre-movie hype. I wanted to see it as fresh as possible.

I can only say it is an experience. One I have to image is as personal as is faith. I did not find it to be anti-Semitic. That would mean it showed all Jews in a bad light. It only showed some, not all, of the Pharisees that way.

It did potray the evil that is part of human nature. But the message of Love and Salvation so conquers that all that it is no more than a prop for Jesus to play against.

Raven 
Posted: 14-Mar-2004, 07:49 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

I have never really be one to go see a movie because it is on the big screen and have never felt that the experience was so much better than seeing a movie at home (that's just me wink.gif ) I fully intend to see this movie when it comes out in DVD and have further strengthened my resolve as both my sisters and everyone that I work with has insisted that I have to see it in the theater. (I don't like people trying to bully be into doing things) tongue.gif I do realize that they are just enthusiastic, and this is not the first time any of them have done this but certainly the most persistant.

Peace

Mikel

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]