Posted: 25-Nov-2005, 09:38 AM
Quote Post

Student of Modern Celtic Languages
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: The Lliw Valley, South Wales

male

I'm glad they're closing Philosophy! The lecturers there are so problematic. I like the new Vice-Chancellor and his policies, but Philosophy is always contending him.
I'm sure you'd enjoy learning Welsh at Swansea - the support is very good.

--------------------
Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i´m gwlad
Tra môr yn fur
I'r bur hoff bau
O bydded i´r heniaith barhau
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 25-Nov-2005, 05:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

female

Which blogs do you read, Antwn? I usually read Chris Cope, dogfael and Rhys Llwyd. Dogfael's Welsh is so good (and often too hard form me!) that I learn a lot from him. Chris is so funny. Though he's always saying his Welsh isn't good enough, I think he's done exceptionally well. And I appreciate his audio flog. I wish Welsh speakers would start one. I respect Rhys's bold stand as a Christian.

Maybe I'll be able to start one myself in a few years when I've learned a bit more. What about you, Antwn?

Their Welsh is so colloquial at maes-e that I can hardly follow what they are talking about. I boldly joined them but I feel like I'm interrupting fluent speakers with my learner's Welsh so now I just try reading. Did you know they had an article about Nic, the admin in Golwg? They were saying how he's contributed to the Welsh language through blogs.

--------------------
Weithiau, mae'r ateb i'n problemau o dan ein trwynau, dim ond bod angen i ni gymryd cam yn ôl ac edrych eto. - Stuart Kerner
PMEmail Poster                
Antwn 
Posted: 26-Nov-2005, 12:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: UDA ond o linach Cymry

male

Hi Gwenynen. Yeah, I know what you mean about maes-e, but that's the point, it really shows you how Welsh is really used outside the textbook. There are some other learners on the board too. I haven't posted yet either.

I really respect Nic Dafis, he's a tutor and I think he has contributed alot to Welsh through maes-e. Giving Welsh a real presence on the internet is important by giving it more international exposure and establishing a voice for Welsh outside Wales. Besides - its everyone's internet! There are more personal blogs and other sites in Welsh than alot of other minority EU languages. I also read his blog occasionally, and Suw Charman's (clwb malucachu). Each of their blogs have a good list of other Welsh blogs too.

Since I no longer have my own puter, I'm not as up on the blogosphere as I used to be. I tried to start one while I was on aol, but then I could never think of anything to say on it. Besides I was a bit intimidated posting in Welsh where fluent speakers could see my goof ups. It still takes me a while to write a Welsh paragraph, though not nearly as long as it used to. My blog doesn't exist anymore. I'll have to look up the blogs you suggested....thanks!

Here's Nic Dafis' blog
http://www.morfablog.com/

Here's Suw's English blog - it has alot of Welsh blogs listed on it
http://chocnvodka.blogware.com/

Well Siarls, I just like the subject. I don't know anything about the internal politics at the university but I'll take your word for it.

--------------------
Yr hen Gymraeg i mi,
Hon ydyw iaith teimladau,
Ac adlais i guriadau
Fy nghalon ydyw hi
--- Mynyddog
PMEmail Poster               
Mihangel 
Posted: 05-Dec-2005, 07:03 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacWillow

male

CELTICA.
This is an excellent place showing early celtic life. But as lots of things in the UK they start with really good ideas but fail later as no one wishes to support them, I am referring to the authorities here. I hear it is closing for good at the end of February, 2006 which will be a great loss I feel. sad.gif

--------------------
If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head.
if you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart

Nelson Mandela
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 05-Dec-2005, 08:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

Croeso, Michael! I'm glad you found us! Please intruduce yourself in "Introduce Yourself" thread under "Wales."

Thanks for the info. They can surely use more support for such a worthy subject.
PMEmail Poster                
gwenynen 
Posted: 15-Dec-2005, 09:35 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

I thought I'd talk about in this thread the website Austaff posted in Beginner's Welsh. It's:
http://welshpages.glam.ac.uk
There're two courses, Dyfal Donc and Catchphrase. They're both good. The first few lessons may be too simple. I skip those. I'm wroking on lesson 3 of Dyfal Donc now. A good thing about the courses is it has plenty of sound help (and it loads quickly.) Especially the exercise you have to give quick answers is great for me as I lack speaking opportunities. You can get help from tutors for free IF you're a student there. Too bad for the internet learners. But still it's a great website.
PMEmail Poster                
Mihangel 
Posted: 16-Dec-2005, 02:35 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacWillow

male

Firstly I would like to say that this site is really great; so much interaction.

The web addy you mentioned, Gwenynen, is perfectly timed for me as I finish off my course with Rosetta Stone software and I look for something else to compliment my BBC catchphrase lessons. I think this site has a lot of reality to today in the way it sets the learning. I will start this soon I think.

Michael
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 16-Dec-2005, 09:03 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

Isn't it great? I'm glad they offer such lessons for free. I recorded the interactive drills so that I can practice more. I really need to work hard on that aspect. It's so easy to write simple sentences but it's a totally different challenge when you have to speak on the spot! - Gest ti ginio? Do. Ces i ginio gyda Sian. smile.gif
PMEmail Poster                
Mihangel 
Posted: 16-Dec-2005, 06:21 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacWillow

male

Yes it is really good and we are very lucky to have these free web sites to learn Welsh.
I agree that to read and write are the "easy" bits, but to speak one not only needs confidence but also the ability to recall the appropriate word or phrase quickly, practice, practice!

I shall be starting on this web site sonn after Christmas I think as the other one is nearly finished.
PMEmail Poster               
Mihangel 
Posted: 16-Dec-2005, 06:29 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacWillow

male

I have ordered two books from Gwales to help with my learning "Pa Arddodoad" A checklist of verbs ans Treigladur" a check list of mutations I hope I receive them soon and that they would be helpful.
Michael
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 17-Dec-2005, 10:03 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

Warm wishes to all who use these lessons! smile.gif I finished Dyfal Donc lesson 4 today but I still have to practice speaking quickly in the drill. This site is the best thing I can use (for free too) as a self-taught learner.

I found something neat too. Go to Quia Number Games on the left side panel. Thre're fun word games. If you click on Home on the top blue column, there are other language games too. I even found Japanese! I tried the Kanji (Chinese character) game. I'd correct a couple of things had I chance but it's still simple and fun.

Best wishes to you with your new books, Michael.
PMEmail Poster                
Antwn 
Posted: 18-Dec-2005, 11:09 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: UDA ond o linach Cymry

male

Pa arddodiad is a useful tool Mihangel. I find it helpful.
PMEmail Poster               
Mihangel 
Posted: 18-Dec-2005, 04:32 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacWillow

male

Thanks Antwn. I hoped it might be helpful and being so isolated I need all the help I can get.

I cannot wait to delve into the Dyfal Donc in the New Year as that will compliment my learning methods. I like to attack this subject in different ways rather than just one type of course as I find that is more helpful to me and never boring.

Mihangel
PMEmail Poster               
Mihangel 
Posted: 18-Dec-2005, 04:44 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacWillow

male

A friend who works with me in Oz has got from her parents a video of an omnibus edition of Pobl y Cwm which she is willing to lend to me. I am looking forward to that because I think I can pick up a better speech rhythm than I have at the moment and perhaps collect a few more idiomatic phrases.

Michael
PMEmail Poster               
Siarls 
Posted: 19-Dec-2005, 08:28 AM
Quote Post

Student of Modern Celtic Languages
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: The Lliw Valley, South Wales

male

Pobl Y Cwm has a nice variety of dialects as well, that should help you with the linguistic diversity in Wales!
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]