Avonlea22 
  Posted: 09-Aug-2004, 04:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Elizabethtown, PA

male

My wife and I are going to be in Vermont for a week in October. While there, we want to take a day trip (possibly stay overnight) to Montreal. Is there anything we MUST see, or anything we MUST do, whilst in Montreal? Good places to eat? Good parts of the city to visit? Any tips, info, first-hand knowledge of the city would be greatly appreciated! Thanking you muchly in advance.

--------------------
le gach dea-mhéin
~Brian
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Avonlea22 
Posted: 10-Aug-2004, 06:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

male

Nobody? unsure.gif
Keltic 
Posted: 10-Aug-2004, 09:38 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Ottawa, Ontario  Canada

male

I used to go every couple of weeks but in the last 10 years, I only get into the outskirts of Montreal for the Montreal Highland Games and to visit relatives. You will find more than enough in Old Montreal (downtown near the river) to keep you occupied for the day. Since I haven't been downtown for years, I can't suggest any restaurants but you will find a lot of choice in old Montreal and a lot of night life if you are planning on staying overnight.
Official website for Old Montreal

--------------------
PMEmail Poster               
Avonlea22 
Posted: 11-Aug-2004, 12:16 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

male

Thanks for the info, Keltic! We definately will be spending some time in Old Montreal. We've decided to stay the night, to give us some more time, too.

We're staying in Dorval, which looks as though it's not too far from city centre. Some other people have told us to avoid driving into the city, and take the subway. Would you suggest the same?

Thanks again!!
Keltic 
Posted: 11-Aug-2004, 09:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Ottawa, Ontario  Canada

male

The Metro (Montreal's subway) doesn't actually go out to Dorval but you can either drive, take a bus, or cab to one of the stations. The Metro will get you into town a lot faster than the bus and depending on traffic, will get you in faster than by car or cab. The highway system in Montreal can be confusing and if you make a wrong turn, you can find yourself at the border to the U.S. before you know it. Next to Ohio, I haven't seen any nuttier drivers in North America than I have in Montreal.

Montreal Metro Website

Another place that you might want to check into is the Biodome. I haven't been there yet but I have heard that it is fantastic. I've been planning for years to go check it out but I haven't made it yet. Here's their website.
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
Posted: 11-Aug-2004, 10:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

I've only been to Montreal once, years ago, so take my advice as you will. If you're looking for places to go when you're in Montreal, look both above ground and underground. To my best recollection, a fair amount is located underground in the Metro stations. At night, you should be safe walking the streets downtown. I was there as a kid, and my parents had no reservations whatsoever about letting my sister and I walk around downtown at night. I'd definitely like to go back someday. Maybe even take in a Canadiens game.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]