Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Enter at own risk!

The Philosophy, Science & Religion forum has been created as an unmoderated forum. The issues discussed here can and will get very intense. Please show respect and appreciation to alternative views posted here. We appreciate your consideration.

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Global Warming, Is it the end of the world?
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 08-Aug-2007, 05:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

female

I did not listen to all of it but I have to say that I totally agree that global warming is political propaganda and again the media plays a wonderful role in this as well.

And unfortunately even in our modern society people just falls for it because they don't understand or just want to believe that television is all true. When I discovered celtic radio at first "global warming" was a topic that I started just to ear what people had to say about it.(which I deleted since)
And I received an e-mail from someone who did not identify him or herself answering my question about the media and the influence it has on our society.Here was the answer from my anonymous sender.

Greetings:
Most of the global warming dialog is really a rant.
People still believe what they wish to believe.
True, the Earth's climate changes...no kidding. All the evidence points to this.
The bone of contention is the cause of global warming. The current climate trends are not human induced!!!![ Despite the true believers to the contrary.] That big bright yellow thing in the sky is most probably the prime driver.
If I wrote a grant to the National Science Foundation proposing to increase the Earth's temperature by 1 degree, I would be laughed out of the Academy.
Human hubris never fails to amaze me.
A much more profitable discussion should be taking place along the lines of what we are going to do with a booming population, a sky-rocketing demand upon natural resources
[especially from China and India]...and conservation in general.
Thank you, dear Lady, for daring to point out the naked emperor.

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PM My Photo Album               
dundee 
Posted: 10-Aug-2007, 11:00 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

male

FWIW

I just heard about this i havent had a chance to watch the whole thing yet but i will this weekend

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3...847519933351566

it is called the "Great Global Warming Swindle"

these are all well known climatologists i dont think "an inconvenient truth" used a lot of them. if you are truly interested in the climate change it should be worth watching.

--------------------
jim

www.greyaengus.com

"If I say something that can be interpreted in two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant it the other way."

often in error, never in doubt.

if guns kill people then my pencil mis-spells words
quote: larry the cable guy

sometimes what ya think ya want
isnt what ya thought ya wanted
till ya get what ya thought ya wanted
and then what ya had is gone....
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
John Clements 
Posted: 10-Aug-2007, 02:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

Could it be? That Bushes recent 360 on global worming, is a sign of repentance? I doubt it, because I don’t think he knows the meaning of the word. And what’s worse, I don’t think he cares.

I’m sorry dundee, but I think the title… “Inconvenient… Truth”, is reason enough not to include those climatologists.

Like I’ve said before, it all comes down to who, and what you believe.

JC

--------------------
We’re all poets, only some of us write it down. JC 9/27/08

Anyone who has the courage to disagree, deserves all do respect. JC 4/28/08

Life is a loosing battle, so you might as well live it up.
J.C. 3/29/08

Life should be like skiing, you have the most fun on the way down. J.C. 8/17/07

Take their word for it, and that’s just what you’ll get.
J.C. 3/19/07

Only the truth is worth the ultimate sacrifice.
J.C. 1/26/06

Compared to the far right, the far left is somewhere in the middle. J.C. 2/22/06

I’ll be the first to apologies, as long as I get one back.
J.C. 3/7/06

It’s a happy man, who can laugh at himself.

If you’re looking for a new experience, don’t hire someone with a lot of it. J.C. sometime in 1990
PMEmail Poster               
dundee 
Posted: 10-Aug-2007, 03:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

yep your right john... just "dont throw the baby out with the bathwater"... i never would expect anything posted to change anyones mind who has made up there mind. it is more for the people that are not sure. i would encourage you though to watch it ... it will cost you nothing but a some time... then you can say you looked at both sides... ahhhh judy collins just came to mind... i really dont know clouds at all.....

oh by the way i dont see how your comment about bush had anything to do with what i posted. but seeing as you brought it up check out this site.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/house.asp

cheers sir beer_mug.gif note.gif
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 10-Aug-2007, 04:15 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

female

You guys are funny subject from global warming to Georges Bush to Judy Collins.
One would believe himself in a tavern.(just teasing).But I totaly agree that in the book M.Gore did not include these scientist.As for your M.Bush well in my eyes he's another puppet who can't even pronounce the word properly anyways...I don't have too much respect for the man..Sorry no offense.

But I will certainly listen to it entirety because I'm still very curious about what the British have to say. Because they too like to put it on human activity like flying and such. They've been doing some pub while I was there telling no...asking people not to take the plane if you don't have to but your car or the train.Hmmm

If you prefer reading ,there is this book that I bought called "Climate" and is written by two scientist one is climate scientist the other geologist-biologist.It is a very interesting book that explain the climate through the ages.
Authors are Jennifer Hoffman and Tina Tin.
PM My Photo Album               
John Clements 
Posted: 11-Aug-2007, 10:45 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

Oh yes the Judy Collins (both sides now) is a perfect analogue. But you see, dundee. One could say that I’m from Oklahoma, even though I was born in Brooklyn, because I can’t help but to believe my own eyes. So, as much as it pains me, nothing is going to change the fact, that I believe that I saw demolition on 9/11. Oh yes, planes flew into those towers, but I don’t believe that was what brought them down.

As what Bush has to do with your post about global worming? All I know is that Bush has ignored the subject until recently. Gee, do you think Al Gore’s Incontinent Truth had anything to do with that? Come on man, it all quit obvious.
JC
PMEmail Poster               
dundee 
Posted: 11-Aug-2007, 11:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

QUOTE (John Clements @ 11-Aug-2007, 11:45 AM)

As what Bush has to do with your post about global worming? All I know is that Bush has ignored the subject until recently. Gee, do you think Al Gore’s Incontinent Truth had anything to do with that? Come on man, it all quit obvious.
JC

john take look a at my last link...
snopes is pretty reliable and unbiased.
would seem to me that bush has a bit of
an upper hand on gore at least with his life style.

and are you trying to make me laugh "Al Gore’s Incontinent Truth"
you describe it very well... laugh.gif peace

and i dont know how we got into 9/11...
there isnt a ghost on everydoor knob ya know...

lady of A i have no problem with your opinion of bush... *S*
i am pretty pissed at him right now myself. laugh.gif
just be sure to look at the whole picture... follow the money ....
smile.gif
John Clements 
Posted: 11-Aug-2007, 01:15 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

See that I can get a laugh without even trying.
Enough for to day.
Later JC
PMEmail Poster               
Antwn 
Posted: 15-Aug-2007, 11:58 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: UDA ond o linach Cymry

male

This article may be demonstrative of the fact that we just don't know as much about climate as we like to suppose, and that perhaps our certainty is tainted with hubris. This becomes more provocative when we consider how reliant many doom and gloomers have been upon computer modeling, which is only as effective as the data input into it, and is by no means reflective of interconnected matrices as complex as climate. Anyway -

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070815/sc_nm/...tralia_ocean_dc

--------------------
Yr hen Gymraeg i mi,
Hon ydyw iaith teimladau,
Ac adlais i guriadau
Fy nghalon ydyw hi
--- Mynyddog
PMEmail Poster               
Antwn 
Posted: 19-Aug-2007, 02:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: UDA ond o linach Cymry

male

Well, defenders of catastrophic global warming via greenhouse gases - you now have an opportunity to make big bucks - but only if you can prove it.

Junk Science .com is offering $100,000 to the first person who can - prove it that is.

www.junkscience.com
PMEmail Poster               
gwenlee 
Posted: 17-Nov-2007, 07:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAlder

female

I remember in the 70's scientist were warning us about global cooling. Now a term that I here a lot is climate changes. I guess that is going to be the new term so all of the doomsday forecaster can be right about the weather.

With that said I do believe we should all be good stewards when it comes to taking care of the earth. It is our only home

Gwenlee
CelticRadio 
Posted: 23-May-2008, 08:38 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
255,833 Gold!

Well, I have done a 360 on the Global Warming Issue and I think unless things change very soon then we could be looking at a pretty significant Global Cool down.

http://www.leadertelegram.com/story-opinio...?id=BGMHH9IPD4Q

I've been following the fact that Global Warming/Cooling may indeed be mostly related to Sunspot activity.

Data from Nasa shows no significant sunspots this year:

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/sunspots/

If indeed we are headed toward a Maunder and Dalton climate minima, such as occurred in the 1600's, then we got bigger problems.

- Oil prices continue to rise.
- Crop reduction.
- Grain Shortages.

Global Warming could end up being the biggest consumer scam in history. We are paying at the pumps, the grocery store and in taxes to reduce emissions.

Maybe we need to start pumping as much CO2 in the atmosphere as possible to prevent a mini iceage. Better break out the AWD SUV's and get a wood stove!

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Dogshirt 
Posted: 23-May-2008, 08:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Washington THE State

male

Well, I have done a 360 on the Global Warming Issue and I think unless things change very soon then we could be looking at a pretty significant Global Cool down.

I've been following the fact that Global Warming/Cooling may indeed be mostly related to Sunspot activity.

If indeed we are headed toward a Maunder and Dalton climate minima, such as occurred in the 1600's, then we got bigger problems.

- Crop reduction.
- Grain Shortages.

Global Warming could end up being the biggest consumer scam in history. We are paying at the pumps, the grocery store and in taxes to reduce emissions.

Maybe we need to start pumping as much CO2 in the atmosphere as possible to prevent a mini iceage. Better break out the AWD SUV's and get a wood stove!

AT LAST!!!!!!!!!!! Others see it for the crap science it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Hoka Hey!
The more Liberals I meet, the more I like my dogs!
Patch 
Posted: 23-May-2008, 08:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

QUOTE (Dogshirt @ 23-May-2008, 03:43 PM)

- Crop reduction.
- Grain Shortages.

AT LAST!!!!!!!!!!! Others see it for the crap science it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beer_mug.gif

I personally believe we are looking at normal climatic cycles. None of us will live to know for sure though.

Slàinte,    

Patch   
PMEmail Poster               
Dogshirt 
Posted: 23-May-2008, 09:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Washington THE State

male

I personally believe we are looking at normal climatic cycles. None of us will live to know for sure though.

Slàinte,   

Patch 

Exactly what I've been saying all along. I'm glad others see this as well.
When the Norse colonized Greenland around 1000AD they farmed there. But 450 years later they had to abandon those colonies because the climate had change to the point they were getting 85% of their foods from the sea and had to import grains for bread. It was no longer feasible to raise livestock.
And that "cold" cycle didn't end until the mid 1800s. Yes! We ARE warming, for NOW, but it will turn again.

beer_mug.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]