Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Sounds about right to me.

And I added that 'good luck' bit in there as a bit of irony, in case Pick does end up being a girl. wink.gif

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
Faileas 
Posted: 11-Apr-2005, 03:56 PM
Quote Post

Guardian of Scotland :-)
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Isle of Skye

female

Hi guys again,

just been searching for a while and stumbled across this paragraph

"The Olympia
In January 1814 William Todd was an Assistant Surgeon onboard the Olympia #1340, a Royal Navy Cutter with 10 Guns/Cannons, serving under Lieutenant W. Windeyer on the Downs Station. This is a location off the east coast of Kent, England which is protected to seaward by the notorious Goodwin Sands and the base for the Royal Navy ships patrolling the North Sea and the Dutch coast. At the end of the Napoleonic Wars in 1815, the size of the Royal Navy was cut from 145,000 to 19,000 troops. Soon after that, in 1816, William Todd began his lifelong career with Hudson Bay Company from 1816-1950 in Canada.

Built in 1806 in Bermuda, the Olympia (of worm resistant Cedar from the area) was a Royal Navy Cutter, 142 tons, captured, recaptured, and sold in 1815. Bermuda was an important Royal Navy base from 1795 to 1953. The Royal Naval Dockyard in Halifax, Nova Scotia, was considered too vulnerable to attack from America. Bermuda, beyond the operating range of the United States Navy, isolated but in the strategic mid Atlantic, was ideal for a surprise Royal Navy attack.

At the end of 18th century and at the start of 19th century Cutters were used for coastal surveying/patrolling, and later as messengers in the Royal Navy fleet against sea piracy and illegal trading by smugglers. They were heavily armed ships, typically carrying 8 to 12 guns and a number of falconets. Consequently, besides fast transport of precious, perishable goods, the cutters were used immediately by Navy as a vice and patrol boat. In England at the end of 18th and beginning of 19th Century, both the smugglers and coastguards used armed Cutters. Generally streamlined and of greater draught, the Cutters were extremely fast and had a discrete possibility of manouvering even in narrow waters or rough seas. "

at http://modena.intergate.ca/todd/0ship.htm

I think these type of ships are a bit smaller and look a bit heavier too , but seem fairly fast for that. And has good weaponry too.

I' ll try to upload a picture of a Cutter which you will hopefully find underneath. ...

How does that sound to ye?

Attached Image. (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image (Works with IE Only)

--------------------
Scottish in Heart :-))

In the darkest heart the pride of man will walk allone

's ged tha mi fada bhuat cha dhealaich sinn a chaoidh

Darkover RPG
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 11-Apr-2005, 04:00 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

Cutters are good ships, but most valuable on coastal waters and not to the open sea... we are going to be headed into some rough passage that a cutter would not stand up to... good idea though!

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail PosterRead My Blog View My Photographs               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 11-Apr-2005, 07:24 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

Hi guys! I know absolutely nothing about ships, so I'll leave it in your capable hands. Again sorry about not being able to help in the fight today!

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterView My Photographs               
Swanny 
Posted: 12-Apr-2005, 12:13 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

Actually, brigs such as this were pretty common commercial vessels during the late 18th/early 19th century, usually with fewer guns though. (for an good example google up "Lady Washington" ).

Each gun requires a crew of three, but a 10 gun armed merchantman would not likely have had a full compliment of gunners, unless she carried letters of marque as a privateer or had been pressed into naval service.

A crew of 12 would include a master and commander, (double duty as ship's captain and sailing master), first mate, a midshipmen for each watch (generally midshipmen), and rigging/deck crew for each watch, so it's conceivable that a crew of 12 could man her at see, but probably not fight her to her full capability. A surgeon, carpenter, bosun's (boatswains) mate, &c would have been optional.

A brig certainly lies within reason. Many privateers were schooners (two or more masts with fore and aft rigging), which were the smallest purpose built war ships of the period. I agree a cutter, shallop, or similar sized vessel would probably have not set sail for notoriously rough seas under a reasonably able and responsible commander.

I'd vote to stick with the brig, but remember that we are short handed and do what we can to augment her crew.

WOOF

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 12-Apr-2005, 07:42 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

Thanks Swanny, for your wisdom. You seem to have a pretty tight grasp of seafaring. Me on the other hand, google and guessing. laugh.gif There's no expert on my side of the screen, WizardofOwls.

Again sorry about not being able to help in the fight today!

Actually, that would be my fault. Shadows, Faileas and I got a little carried away, and I forgot to wait and let everyone get a shot off before getting us out in the clear. That's what the 'little private party' refference was for. wink.gif

So, Swanny, be sure to give me a swift kick in the pants if I mess up with the ship lingo. wink.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 12-Apr-2005, 08:37 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

My pleasure. 18th century reenacting is my passion, and I love to sail, so I've done some research over the years. Very fascinating subject to me.

S
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 12-Apr-2005, 08:40 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Here's a trivia site with a fair overview of nautical terminology that could crop up in our adventure.Nautical Terms and Phrases... Their Meaning and Origin
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 12-Apr-2005, 10:20 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

Personally I prefer the Schooner, it being lighter and quicker, but it seems I am out voted....

What say ye all?
oldraven 
Posted: 12-Apr-2005, 11:52 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

Anyone want to take on Alwan, or Bogrit? I have as many on my plate as I want right now. smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Faileas 
  Posted: 12-Apr-2005, 04:49 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

female

I like the looks of the "Lady Washington". A ship like her looks fine to me. but i am just a wee pick pocket and will likely end up as jack-of-all-sorts ... wink.gif biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 13-Apr-2005, 08:25 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

QUOTE (oldraven @ 12-Apr-2005, 01:52 PM)
Anyone want to take on Alwan, or Bogrit? I have as many on my plate as I want right now. smile.gif

I would just let them be names mentioned from time to time until we get more players... I don't want any more characters myself....

We seem to have some "Real" characters in the main roles now....
Faileas 
Posted: 14-Apr-2005, 03:46 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

female

I am taking on Alwar, oldraven. I given him a rather sullen and scaring character, but likely he is turning out to be a softie with a rough spot , hehe. It makes sense, however, as Pick is comandeered to help him and it would make sense to have the ship's cook and surgeon in the game ... All right with ye lot?
PMEmail Poster               
Faileas 
Posted: 14-Apr-2005, 03:49 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

female

QUOTE (Faileas @ 14-Apr-2005, 10:46 PM)
I given him a rather sullen and scaring character, but likely he is turning out to be a softie with a rough spot , hehe.

I mean of course the other way round, alas - a roughie with a soft spot, hehe. laugh.gif
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 14-Apr-2005, 04:02 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

Sounds good. But is this Alwan's twin, Alwar? wink.gif I like the idea. A ruffian who has care enough to stitch up the people he sticks. laugh.gif

As for Bogrit. If anyone needs him to say anything, just put some words in his mouth. biggrin.gif I don't think any of us need to double up any more than we are, so he's a community character until a new player wants to join in.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Fast ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]