Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Green Fields Of Tommy Makem, Tommy Makem dies at age 74.
itsmewendylee 
Posted: 02-Aug-2007, 07:00 AM
Quote Post

Servant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

female

I received this email today:

From Ed Ward/Milwaukee Irish Festival

Hello friends - it's a sad day today as Irish music has lost it's most passionate and ardent advocate. Tommy Makem passed away tonight at 7 p.m. after what I would have to call a heroic struggle to maintain his life style, love of music and performing, and contact with his many admirers and friends. He battled his cancer in his own way and fought it bravely and without complaints. "Ever onward and upward' he would say. I spoke to him about 2 weeks ago the day after he returned from Ireland. We talked for about a half an hour about his trip, how wonderful it was to see the parade of people who came to visit him in the hotel, relatives, old friends, the archbishop. He said he was very sad when he boarded a plane to leave Ireland - clearly knowing he would not see it again. He desperately wanted to make it to Milwaukee this year so we discussed plans on what we would do as it was evident he would not be able to perform. But he planned to be there anyway.

We are going ahead with these plans and Tommy's slots will be billed as "REMEMBERING TOMMY MAKEM" and will be led by his nephews Tom and Jimmy Sweeney, Brian Doherty, Kevin Evans and Eugene Byrne and other close friends. The Makem and Spain Brothers will also be in Milwaukee so it should be a special celebration of Toomy's life and love for the music of Ireland.

--------------------
Even the mighty oak is just a nut that held it's ground.
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 02-Aug-2007, 09:34 AM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

yes indeed a very sad day!!!

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Rindy 
Posted: 02-Aug-2007, 03:26 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

This is very sad news. Thanks for posting that itsmewendylee.
PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 02-Aug-2007, 09:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

Sad news indeed. Had the pleasure of talking to him for a few minutes about Irish music my first year at Irishfest culture tent without even realizing who he was. Later he was the preformer before Gaelic Storm and after that we would watch him every year. He was one of the few entertainers that truly had class.
There will be some mighty craic in heaven tonight.

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 03-Aug-2007, 09:15 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
222,916 Gold!

Let us all take a moment to reflect on the passing of a great Legend in Irish music - Tommy Makem.

He passed away on August 1st due to lung cancer in his home in Dover, New Hampshire. He gained international fame in the 50s and 60s when he teamed up with the Clancy Brothers.

Tommy Makem was born in County Armagh, Northern Ireland, and learned to sing from his mother, who knew hundreds of folk songs and tales in the Irish oral tradition.

Read more from the Washinton Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7080202290.html

or the Boston Globe:

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/living/ar...?p1=MEWell_Pos3

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Emmet 
Posted: 04-Aug-2007, 12:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: Clearwater, FL

male

He's in a smokey pub in Fiddler's Green singing Rebel tunes with Tom and Paddy, a half-finished pint on the stool next to him; I'm sure it's a joyous reunion, and the craic's absolutely magnificent!

Here's a brimming parting glass to you Tommy, thanks for all of the tunes you've given us over all these years.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 04-Aug-2007, 10:19 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Tommy was a first class entertainer. He would sing every year at Irishfest and seem to bring a new song, along with its background, with him each time. And it never failed but that song would end up on most of the new CDs from other Irish groups that following year. His contributions were limitless and his story and jokes were timeless. We saw him every year and now we will miss him every year.

Slainte Tommy. God rest your soul.
PMEmail Poster               
Donajhi 
Posted: 04-Aug-2007, 11:15 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Fae Hillfort

female

How sad, he will be missed.

--------------------
CHECK MY SITE: BEYOND THE VEIL http://www.gmadventures.com

"I DID NOT, IT WAS THE FAIRY FOLK!"

Scottish by the grace of God

Fairy Day countdown banner

DIOGENES HAS PASSED ME THE LANTERN, STILL LOOKING.....
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
TandVh 
Posted: 04-Aug-2007, 01:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The countryside around Exeter, California

male

Musician / poets live in a world of melodic perception unkown by most of us in the everyday world, however, fortunately for us, they choose to (or maybe are driven to) share it with us in the world because it overwhelmes their souls and we all are fortunate enough to benefit from thier need to create and share!

He is still creating music where he's at and if we listen very carefully, it still shines through to delight our hearts.

Thank you so much Tommy- here's a pint to ya!

--------------------
TandVh
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
pflanary 
Posted: 06-Aug-2007, 10:00 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Southwest VA (Lee Co.

female

I feel like a big chunk of my childhood has been lost. The first Irish music I can remember hearing was a much-loved, much-played phonograph record of The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Maken at Carnigie Hall.

--------------------
God then made man. The Italians for their beauty. The French for their cuisine. The Welsh for their voices. The Germans for their cars. And on and on until He looked at what He had created and said, "This is all very well, but no-one is having fun. I'll have to make an Irishman."
PMEmail Poster               
SkipJack 
Posted: 06-Aug-2007, 07:50 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

Realm: East Coast, US

male

I thought I would add the article from Makem's home town paper.

Foster's Daily Democrat (Dover's Newspaper)
PMEmail Poster               
parkers1 

I'm away until 12/31/2014
  Posted: 20-Aug-2007, 01:39 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacReed

Realm: Down Texas way - Round Rock, Tx

male

Aye tis sad - for one I will miss his music. I nominate him for artist of 2007 and submit his songs for nomination for the 2007 music awards.

--------------------
Al down Texas way
PMEmail Poster               
Senara 
Posted: 20-Aug-2007, 02:00 PM
Quote Post

Musican/Ruler of the Dells/Warrior
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Caer Portshire, Mist Hollow

female

Milwaukee's IrishFest this year was dedicated to Tommy Makem. The final show, the Scattering was traditionally Tommy's show to run. This year however it was much more a collaborative effort. The entire weekend ran without anyone singing Four Green Fields until the time of the scattering. Tom Sweeney did the bit of poetry that Tommy would do in a show, and then Rory Makem sang in his father's absence. It was tough for Rory (and some of the crowd) to get through the song. The rest of the entertainers on the stage either had their heads bowed in a prayer or looked up to the heavens with a tear in their eye. It was a truely grand send off for an amazing musician. Tommy got his final standing ovation once Rory finished.

Definately a memory (among many I have of his performances) I will not soon forget.

I second Parkers motion to nominate Tommy Makem for the Celtic Artist awards...and would suggest Four Green Fields for the song used.

--------------------
Senara-ism : Life is like a theatrical production only you get to be actor, director, and audience all at once. So break a leg, sit back and enjoy the show!

"When the waves are high and the light is dying, raise a glass and think of me..." -Gaelic Storm

Cha chòir dòrn a thoirt an aghaidh pòig.
A kiss ought not to be met with a fist.

Thig crioch air an saoghal, ach mairidh gaol is ceòl.
The world will pass away, but love and music last forever.

"I am a crazy, rabid squirrel! I want my cookies!" Hammy-Over the Hedge
PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 21-Aug-2007, 09:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

The tribute at Irishfest was a grand sight indeed. I'll third that nomination if necesssary. Miss you Tommy!
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 24-Aug-2007, 08:07 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

A TRIBUTE TO TOMMY MAKEM
10/12/2007
by Danny O'Flaherty

A TRIBUTE TO TOMMY MAKEM

As many of you know, Tommy Makem, the "Godfather" of Irish Folk Music, recently passed away. He was a friend, a mentor and a man of great integrity. So it is with great pride that I am able to announce, The Celtic Nations Heritage Festival presents "A Tribute to Tommy Makem". The concert will be held on Friday, October 12, 2007 at the Rosa Hart Theater in Lake Charles, Louisiana. The Makem and Spain brothers, along with friends, will perform a special evening of music to honor Tommy.

The concert will kickoff The 17th Annual Celtic Nations Heritage Festival to be held on October 12, 13, and 14. The tickets will be $15 each or $30 for a concert ticket and a 2 day pass to the festival. For more info: www.celticnationsfestival.org

PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]