flora 
Posted: 31-Mar-2010, 04:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

QUOTE (englishmix @ 01-Feb-2010, 05:52 PM)
Prestwick businessman fined for blowing nose in stationary car
Jan 29 2010 by Lisa Boyle, Ayrshire Post

A RESPECTED businessman faces a criminal conviction for blowing his nose. Michael Mancini decided to clear his sinuses while he was stuck in stationary traffic along Ayr High Street. But nearby police didn’t take kindly to it and slapped Michael with a fine and penalty points on his licence.

The officers claimed he wasn’t in control of his vehicle when he produced a tissue and blew his nose. The dad-of-two has refused to pay the £60 fine – so Michael faces a trial at Ayr District Court later this year. He explained: “Kyle Street was closed at the time, so traffic was being sent down the High Street. The traffic was stopped all the way up, nose to tail. I decided to blow my nose, so I put my handbrake on and took it out of gear. I noticed four police officers standing near the Wallace Tower. Then when I looked up one of them waved me over. I still had the tissue in my hand and was totally stunned when he said I was getting a fixed penalty notice for not being in control of my car. Surely it would have been more dangerous to drive with a blocked nose struggling to breathe.”

Michael, 39, who runs a furniture restoration business with his brother Philip, has had a licence for 32 years and has never had a driving conviction. He continued: “I thought it was some kind of Beadle’s About moment, a wind up. I could see the officer’s point if I was on my phone or something, but I wasn’t. The traffic was at a complete standstill and I had my handbrake on. I tried to explain that to the officer but he wouldn’t listen. He didn’t know what the code would be on the fixed penalty so he had to ask his colleague. Then he just went through the procedure and that was that.”

In June last year, Stewart Smith was issued with a fixed penalty notice by the same police officer when he dropped a £10 note in the street. The officer believed the Dalrymple man was littering. But Stewart said he simply missed his back pocket and dropped it by accident. Prestwick man Michael is still baffled by the October 26 incident and has taken legal advice on the matter.

His lawyer, Peter Lockhart, has written to the procurator fiscal saying it “beggars belief” that this happened. But prosecutors are adamant they will be using their resources to put Michael through a trial. Michael continued: “I’m really angry about it. It’s doubtful that I’ll get legal aid so this could potentially cost me thousands of pounds in legal fees. But I won’t be paying the fixed penalty.”

Mr Lockhart added: “We will be contesting this and fighting it all the way.”

A spokesperson for Strathclyde Police said: “We can confirm that a 39-year-old man is the subject of a report to the procurator fiscal in connection with an alleged traffic offence on October 26, 2009.”

Am I reading this right? He has had a "licence" since he was seven? How young can they start over there?

Wouldn't they have a heart attack over here for everyone that doesn't have control of their car while talking on a cell phone! biggrin.gif

Flora

--------------------
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit." -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
K. Gibran

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
John Muir
PMEmail Poster               
englishmix 
Posted: 01-Apr-2010, 08:16 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: My place

Free to drive at 7 years old, but unable to clear one's nasal passages without the government on your head! No wonder most left Scotland long ago!

In any event, that policeman needs a vacation.

Thanks for the post, Flora.
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 08-Apr-2010, 11:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

National Health Service news

NHS workers could be offered redundancy
Board has to find £34 million savings

By Gavin Roberts
Evening Express, 07/04/2010

FEARING THE AXE: Staff at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary could be hit by redundancy measures.

HUNDREDS of health workers in the Aberdeen area could be offered redundancy packages to help save millions of pounds. NHS Grampian chiefs plan to ask the government for permission to offer staff members the chance to leave the health service.

But NHS Grampian chief executive Richard Carey also pledged frontline staff and nurses would not be among those to go. This came as NHS Grampian’s board approved its 2010-11 revenue budget which includes bridging a funding gap of £34 million.

Read more: http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.as...3#ixzz0kZwZXLUb
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 08-Apr-2010, 11:46 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Susan Boyle sings in North-east
SuBo sang Amazing Grace

By Gavin Roberts
Evening Express, 01/04/2010

SINGING sensation Susan Boyle performed a special tribute at a funeral service in the tiny Aberdeenshire village of Methlick. Britain’s Got Talent star Subo joined the family and friends of 84-year-old former Methlick primary teacher Molly Burnett to say their last goodbyes.

Susan Boyle travelled from her West Lothian home to Methlick to pay her own special tribute to Molly – mum of X Factor and Britain’s Got Talent vocal coach Yvie Burnett. SuBo sang a heart-rending version of Amazing Grace as the former Methlick Primary teacher was laid to rest in the village’s parish church.

Star Susan Boyle, 49, got to know Molly while she was working with Yvie at her home in Bedford last year. The moving funeral service in Methlick featured music from some of Yvie’s famous friends, who were unable to attend. They included Sarah Brightman, Britain’s Got Talent sensation Paul Potts and X Factor winners Leona Lewis and Alexandra Burke.

A family friend of Yvie said: “Susan not only attended the service but sang Amazing Grace and lot of the people in the church were moved to tears. Yvie had a very close bond with her mum and she said she read out a tribute, describing her as a wonderful mother.”

Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber also sent a personal message to Yvie and music from his most recent production Love Never Dies – a follow up to Phantom of the Opera – was played at the Methlick church. Yvie Burnett is known round the world for her role as vocal coach for top talent shows, including America’s Got Talent.

Read more: http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.as...4#ixzz0kZxbE5JW
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 13-Apr-2010, 08:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Hero teachers foil armed gang of illegal immigrants
Apr 9 2010
by Craig Robertson, Dumfries Standard Friday

THREE teachers fought off an armed gang of illegal immigrants who tried to hijack a school bus trip coming back from France. The masked raiders were trying to enter the luggage hold of the Annan Academy bus when it stopped for fuel 20 miles outside Calais at around 7am last Thursday. The armed group wanted to stow away and sneak into the UK.

But the brave teachers, who were accompanying the 43 fourth year pupils on the trip, saw what was going on and hauled them away from the bus. Their actions led to a stand-off in the middle of the forecourt with the three men who were armed with a knife, a chunk of wood and a fire extinguisher. An eye-witness told the Standard: “There were three of them initially trying to get in and there were another 15 or 20 of them waiting in the bushes. The teachers took no chances and pulled one of them out of the boot and away from the bus. One of the gang pulled out a knife and another had a piece of wood. One was threatening to spray a fire extinguisher in the teachers’ faces. The teachers kept on telling them to go away and the police were called."

“I don’t think they were expecting to be confronted they way they were. After that, the gang seemed to calm down and actually apologised. As soon as the driver had paid for the fuel, the bus headed toward the ferry port. The whole incident lasted only a few minutes."

The pupils, aged 15 and 16, had been visiting the Battlefields of France on the week-long trip and are set to return to classes next week after the Easter break. Yesterday, Annan Academy’s rector, Frank Davis, praised the actions of the teachers. He said: [I]“What they did was appropriate in the circumstances and I am very proud of the way they handled the situation. The teachers who were on the trip are very, very experienced and were able to sort out the situation with there being no risk to the pupils on the coach. At no point did they feel under threat. The illegal immigrants who had tried to get in the hold actually came back to apologise after the police were called. There were five teachers on the trip; two of them stayed on the coach and three were off the coach. The young people were kept on the bus and they were safe at all times. The police were called but the staff decided to get on their way to Calais to get back to the UK.”[/I]

Asked if he thought the teachers were heroes, Mr Davis said: “Yes, I think at the end of the day, they are able to be very proud of the action they took.” He added that there may now be a review of the risk assessments carried out before similar trips take place.
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 13-Apr-2010, 08:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Wedding dresses go on display at Dumfries museum

Apr 9 2010
by Julie Watt, Dumfries Standard Friday

ON-SCREEN wedding dresses worn by film stars including Meryl Streep, Keira Knightley and Helena Bonham Carter have gone on display in Dumfries. "Marriage in the Movies" exhibition opens today at the National Museum of Costume at Shambellie House in New Abbey.

The stunning costumes appeared in film and TV productions ranging from The Duchess, Pride and Prejudice and Madame Bovary to Howard’s End and Frankenstein. They will be used within the exhibition to illustrate many of the fashions and styles of the period they represent and to show the development of the wedding dress from the 18th century. Fashion fans will also be able to explore some of the country’s wedding traditions. And as part of a special offer to highlight the exhibition, the museum will offer free entry to anyone arriving wearing their wedding dress.

Museum open daily from 10am to 5pm.

---------------------------------
By the bye, notice that no specific gender or sex required for the free admission offer above! This could be a stunning gala, indeed...
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 16-Apr-2010, 10:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Hotels and restaurants rally round for stranded travellers
Edinburgh Evening News
Date: 16 April 2010
By CATHERINE SALMOND and LAURA CUMMINGS

EDINBURGH Airport officials said they were "overwhelmed" by the generosity shown to passengers stranded in Edinburgh when all flights were grounded by the volcanic ash cloud. Thousands of travellers were forced to abandon their plans when flights were cancelled but hotels and restaurants across the city responded quickly by offering cut-price accommodation, special food and drink offers and discounted entertainment.

Gordon Dewar, the airport's managing director, said: "We're overwhelmed by the generosity of spirit shown by Edinburgh citizens in helping those passengers stranded in Edinburgh. "When we put out the call for help for our passengers, little did we think that the response would be so full. The city has again demonstrated that warmth that makes it one of the world's leading destinations."

Passengers were able to take advantage of half-price admission to the Royal Yacht Britannia and discounts at the Playhouse and Seabird Centre, in North Berwick. And at some restaurants and bars customers could dine for half the regular price if they used a special password.

David Johnston, development director of Montpeliers Edinburgh, offered discounts at three of his establishments, including Indigo Yard on Charlotte Lane. He said: "It is terrible to get stranded, but there are worse places than Edinburgh. Of course there was a business angle, but there was also a genuine interest to help."

The city's major concert and conference venues were relatively unscathed by the flight cancellations, with only one lecturer due to appear at the Edinburgh International Science Festival last night having to catch a train instead of a flight to the city. Additional rail services were put on by East Coast to deal with demand, including an extra Edinburgh to London train at 4:30pm and extended London to Newcastle routes, travelling on to the Capital.

The city council's social work department also looked into assisting stranded passengers. Meanwhile, thousands of people hoping to leave Edinburgh on holiday were stuck, while many more face a wait today to see if their flights will run.

Mum Jennifer Kennedy, 42, was looking forward to a week in Majorca with her husband and two children, Mia, four, and Eve, three – the family's first holiday abroad. Ms Kennedy, from Corstorphine, said: "I was totally scunnered when I found out we might not get to go. The kids have been talking about the holiday since we booked it. You get the countdown – three sleeps to go, two sleeps to go. Mia said, 'only one sleep to go', and I had to tell her there was a possibility that we might not get to go."

Ms Kennedy, who works in the membership and communications department of Homes for Scotland, added: "There's a glimmer of hope that they might have lifted the restrictions by the time of our flight. But then we will have to contend with the chaos at the airport."
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 16-Apr-2010, 10:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Jacobites and Redcoats face off in Lothians
Edinburgh Evening News
Date: 17 September 2009

THE boom of cannon and musket fire is to be heard once again in East Lothian as Bonnie Prince Charlie and his Highland army prepare to defeat government forces. This time around, however, it will all be in the name of entertainment, as the reenactment of the 1745 Battle of Prestonpans swings into action.

Participants will set up an encampment at Cuthill Park from 3pm tomorrow, and at 4:30am on Saturday the Highlanders will begin their dawn march. They will have rather more to look forward to than their predecessors, however, with the march culminating in breakfast at the Prestoungrange Gothenburg pub.

There will be storytelling and weapons demonstrations through the morning, and the laying of wreaths at Gardiner Obelisk and Battle Cairn at 10am. Battle commences at 2pm in the Cuthill Park, raging for two hours, until the Redcoats flee to the beach at Morrison's Haven, making good their escape.

For full details of the programme see www.battleofprestonpans1745.org.
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 16-Apr-2010, 10:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Restrictions on Scottish flights to be lifted
Edinburgh Evening News site.
16 April 2010

RESTRICTIONS preventing flights to protect aircraft from the Icelandic volcanic ash cloud are to be lifted from Scottish airports tonight. But in England and Wales the ban will remain in place until at least 7am tomorrow, it was announced today. Air traffic control company Nats said from 7pm today restrictions will be lifted from Scottish airports, Shetland, Orkneys and also Northern Ireland.

Nats said this meant that some North Atlantic services could operate to and from these points and that there might be an opportunity for some flights to operate from the north into Newcastle after 1am tomorrow.

As far as transatlantic services are concerned, Nats warned: "Please note these arrangements do not mean that all flights will operate. Anyone hoping to travel today or tomorrow should contact their airline before going to the airport."

The company went on: "We are looking for opportunities when the ash cloud moves sufficient for us to enable some flights to operate under individual co-ordination with air traffic control. Some aircraft were able to operate at Manchester this morning, although restrictions are now reapplied to Manchester."

Describing the situation as "dynamic and subject to change", Nats added that it would review further Met Office information and make a further announcement about flights at 8.30pm today. Nats said: "We continue to work closely with airports, airlines, and the rest of Europe to understand and mitigate the implications of the volcanic eruption."

This afternoon's statement at least provides some glimmer of hope for air passengers who have been largely grounded since noon yesterday following the eruption of Iceland's Mount Eyjaffjallajokull. Earlier, some flights were able to run in the Republic of Ireland and in Scotland, although Transport Secretary Lord Adonis warned it was "likely that significant disruption to most UK air services will continue for at least the next 48 hours".

One of those caught up in the travel chaos was the Duchess of Cornwall. She had to cancel a visit to a Polish cultural centre in London, where she was to sign a book of condolence for the late President of Poland, Lech Kaczynski, because she was unable to fly from Scotland.

One airport able to operate today was Newquay in Cornwall, where flights to and from St Mary's Airport on the Isles of Scilly were running. These flights operate outside controlled air space so are not subject to the Nats restriction.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown apologised to travellers, saying he was sorry there had been so much inconvenience.
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 17-Apr-2010, 09:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Queue for the last gravy train
Highland News
Published: 08 April, 2010

DOZENS of Highlands and Islands Enterprise (HIE) staff have jumped on the last gravy train leaving its Inverness headquarters.

For the Highland News can reveal employees were queuing up to take redundancy packages to leave the Cowan House HQ before changes in legislation kicked in which would see their entitlements slashed under new rules.

PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 19-Apr-2010, 08:18 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Ash cloud to keep aircraft grounded for most of week
Fleet urged to rescue stranded Britons

The Press and Journal
By Ross Davidson
Published: 19/04/2010

Some of the stranded travellers evacuated from Calais arrive back in Dover after the Dunkirk-style rescue

The government was urged last night to send a fleet of ships to rescue Britons stranded abroad as experts warned the Iceland volcano ash cloud is likely to keep aircraft grounded for most of this week.

Gordon Brown held emergency talks with cabinet colleagues yesterday and minist-ers emerged from the meeting to say it would not be safe for flights across most of northern Europe today. The premier has called a meeting of the Cobra civil contingencies committee for today – and air traffic control company Nats said UK airspace would remain closed until at least 7pm tonight.

But there were growing signs last night that the airlines themselves were trying to increase the pressure on the authorities to relax restrictions which have now been in place for five days. British Airways (BA) chief executive Willie Walsh was on board one of the company's Boeing 747 jumbo jets as it carried out a test flight during the evening. KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, Air France, German carrier Lufthansa and Austrian Airlines also said they had successfully carried out test flights using empty planes.

Pilots have called for a banking-style rescue of the industry, claiming the financial impact on their employers “could not be more serious”. Dubai-based Emirates said the crisis had already cost it over £33million.

BA has cancelled all its flights scheduled for today, budget airline Ryanair said none of its services would fly from the UK, Ireland and more than 10 other European countries until 1pm on Wednesday, and easyJet will not run any service in areas affected by the restriction until at least 1pm today.

The Scottish Government said it was working to “deliver additional capacity in rail, bus and ferry services to aid passengers”. Finance Secretary John Swinney said after a meeting of the government's Resilience Cabinet sub-committee that the latest update showed that the Rosyth-Zeebrugge service had cabin and seat availability for sailings in both directions.

There was also additional capacity on ferries to Scotland's island communities and Northern Ireland, all rail operators were laying on additional carriages and services, and bus companies were adding extra coaches.

Mr Swinney said: “We are working to capitalise on any temporary windows of opportunity which would allow flights to take off and land, whilst co-ordinating alternative travel arrangements for those inconvenienced.”

The election campaign has also been affected – with Labour, the Tories and the Lib Dems all forced to reschedule events north of the border. The Lib Dems planned to launch their Scottish manifesto in Shetland, but had to switch it to Edinburgh.

The Prince of Wales and Foreign Secretary David Miliband cancelled their journey to the funeral of Poland’s president Lech Kaczynski. They had been due to join global leaders for the ceremony in city of Krakow yesterday.

The Tories urged the UK Government to ensure border controls did not stop any Dunkirk-style rescue mission across the Channel to bring stranded Britons home.

They also called for the Royal Navy to help bring people back to Britain. The plea was issued after a rescue mission, launched by television presenter Dan Snow, to bring stranded travellers home from France was halted by French police. He set out with a fleet of speedboats to help those affected by flight cancellations – but the rescue was blocked in Calais.

Shadow transport secretary, Theresa Villiers, said it was “hugely worrying“ there was no end in sight for the flights ban. She said ministers should charter ships to bring people home, including troops stranded in Cyprus.

“With thousands of Britons stuck in airports overseas, it is hugely worrying that there is no end in sight for the flight ban,” she said. "This crisis is costing the economy millions of pounds every day and causing huge amounts of travel misery.”

Security Minister Lord West said the government was looking at possibly using the Royal Navy to try to bring people home. He said: “We clearly have a reasonable lift capacity within the Royal Navy for lifting people. That’s being looked at just now, to see what’s available, particularly in the amphibious force itself which can lift a whole brigade if necessary. But also we have the ability to take up ships from trade. All this is being looked at. And that does give us quite a capacity of lift if it’s needed.”

Lord West said one of the questions under consideration was which would be the best ports for any operations to take place from.

“It will just take a few hours to resolve something, to get something going if necessary,” he added.

Ministers also said Mr Brown was speaking to his Spanish counterpart to see if Britons stranded in North America could be got home via Spain.

Transport Secretary Lord Adonis added that European transport ministers would be meeting by video conference today. And Business Secretary Lord Mandelson said: “We will mobilise all possible means to get people home.”

Around 150,000 Britons have not been able to return home because of the restrictions on flights, travel association Abta said last night. A spokeswoman said the current problems were undoubtedly the biggest operational issue the industry had faced in living memory. “At no time in living memory has British airspace been shut down and affected this many people,” she said.

The Foreign Office has launched an advice line for callers in the UK concerned about the well-being of relatives stranded overseas. The number is 020 7008 0000.

Read more: http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.a...5#ixzz0lYVVBbm5
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 19-Apr-2010, 10:49 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Erupting volcano disrupts hospital appointments
Hebrides News
19/4/10

Hospital clinic appointments face serious disruption as consultants are stranded by grounded planes.

Flights have been grounded across Scotland because of the danger that the cloud of dust and particles spreading from the volcanic eruption in Iceland would choke plane engines. It has been impossible to travel by planes into the Western Isles since Friday as all island flights have been cancelled.

At this stage it is unknown if the travel chaos will continue into Tuesday. An update is expected around 4pm this afternoon. NHS Western Isles said: “Due to the disruption of flights, our visiting consultant clinics for the Western Isles Hospital and Uist and Barra Hospital have been affected, and some patient appointments have been cancelled.

Patient Services staff are working on contacting as many people as possible.

“People with an appointment this week should contact the outpatient department on 01851708217 (Western Isles Hospital) or 01870603602 (Uist and Barra Hospital) prior to your appointment.”

Meanwhile the Met Office said: "Eruptions from the Eyjafjallajökull volcano are weakening but, for the time being, weather patterns continue to blow volcanic ash towards the UK.”

National Air Traffic Services, which closed off the airspace and banned plans from flying said: “We continue to work closely with Government, airports and airlines, and airframe and aero engine manufacturers to get a better understanding of the effects of the ash cloud and to seek solutions.”

PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 19-Apr-2010, 10:52 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Scottish Hydro election poster warning
Hebrides News
19/4/10

While it’s all very well wanting to get into power, Scottish Hydro Electric Power Distribution (SHEPD) is urging candidates for the forthcoming general election to avoid a pre-election shock, by resisting the temptation to cover electricity poles with campaign posters.

The wooden poles have been used to support individual candidates' promotional materials in previous campaigns, and SHEPD is writing to all the main political parties to remind them that using electricity poles as an extension of the campaign trail is a real danger to life should anyone come into contact with the overhead lines.

The 'Danger of Death' stickers on the poles are no idle threat, as the lines they carry can have voltages of up to 33,000 volts running through them. SHEPD is urging all parties to set an example to the rest of the population and not to use the poles to display their campaign posters.

The posters can also make it difficult for power engineers to climb the poles, while removing them and cleaning up their mess also takes up valuable time, which could otherwise be spent on network maintenance.

Lisa Doogan, Head of Operations for SHEPD, says: “We’ve all seen posters and flyers on electricity poles. With the election looming we’re taking this chance to remind all the main parties of the dangers of using our poles to display campaign posters, which pose a great risk to those sticking them up, and can hold us up as we go about our daily work.”
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 19-Apr-2010, 10:54 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Celtic Festival tickets released for sale
Hebrides News
19/4/10

Tickets for this year's Hebridean Celtic Festival are on sale from this morning. HebCelt 2010 offers a stunning line-up including headliners Runrig and a host of acts ready to help make for a memorable 15th anniversary.

Tickets are available online from
www.hebceltfest.com
or by phone on
01851 621234
during office hours.

PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 20-Apr-2010, 10:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Scientists launch hi-tech bid to save Scotland’s iconic wildcat

The Herald, Scotland
20 Apr 2010

The earliest fossils of wildcats date from 250,000 years ago while their descendants have been around these parts for only 9,000 years, and now a new project is giving the public a chance to see the survivors of the species in the wild.
Scientists are using specialist equipment including motion detectors, infrared technology and camera traps to trace the movements of this iconic species at secret locations in the Cairngorms National Park.

The work is vital as the wildcat’s survival is endangered – it is estimated there are fewer than 400 still at large in the Highlands with the classical wildcat fur and markings. This makes it rarer than the endangered species of tiger and, indeed, it is now known as the Highland Tiger. Some conservationists argue that if we cannot save it, we will be in no position to lecture other countries on the importance of protecting their indigenous species.

Our wildcat has been adapting separately from its European counterparts since the English Channel was formed at the end of the last ice age. There was a time when thousands roamed Britain. Centuries ago they were killed for their fur and to prevent them attacking livestock, but the progressive destruction of woodlands removed their natural habitat, and this, combined with agricultural development and road building, meant they were driven further and further north.

They became extinct in southern England by 1800, northern England in 1853 and Wales in 1862. By the late 19th century they were only really found in the Highlands, where the arrival of the Victorian sporting estate all but did for the wildcat.

Today the biggest threat is not from gamekeepers, but from inter-breeding with domestic and feral cats, according to Dr David Hetherington of the Cairngorms National Park Authority and The Cairngorms Wildcat Project. He said: “The project aims both to raise awareness of the plight of the Scottish Wildcat, and get gamekeepers, ecologists, vets, cat welfare groups and the public at large all pulling together to save a Scottish icon from extinction.”

He said the park project was working to encourage responsible domestic cat ownership, such as neutering and vaccinating pets, which would reduce the risk of hybridisation and the spread of fatal diseases. “We are also working to neuter the feral cat colonies around towns, villages and farms to reduce the likelihood of feral cats and wildcats interacting.”

He said that although they had a different temperament, they were closely related genetically to domestic cats so they could produce fertile hybrids. He added: “If that continues we are going to lose our pure Scottish wildcat altogether, which would be a tragedy. “So the camera traps are a very useful way for us to monitor where in the national park the wildcats are. They are very shy, secretive animals. They are active mainly at night and it’s really difficult for people to get close enough to watch them properly.

“These camera traps are an excellent way of us getting a much better insight into where wildcats live, when they’re active, and what habitat they’re using. We can also get an idea of where they don’t live and, of course, that’s also really important information.”

He said that a couple of wildcats had been captured by the cameras already, although the pictures would have to be studied carefully as they might have been hybrids. Otters, a pine martin and a golden eagle have also been photographed.

The Scottish Government has already thrown its weight behind efforts to save the Highland Tiger. When Roseanna Cunningham, the Environment Minister, launched the Cairngorm project last year she said it would be “an absolute tragedy if the Scottish wildcat was reduced to extinction”.
PMEmail Poster                
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]