ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
42,415 Gold!

Wis. festival sells deep-fried testicles
Sun May 13, 2:56 PM ET

Around here, it may be tough to pass up anything deep-fried.

Wisconsinites have deep-fried cheese curds, candy bars and Twinkies. They now have deep-fried livestock testicles, too.

More than 300 people paid $5 for all-you-can-eat goat, lamb and bull testicles Saturday at the ninth annual Testicle Festival at Mama's Place Bar and Grill in Elderon in central Wisconsin.

"Once you get over the mental (aspect) of what you're eating, it's just like eating any other food, and it tastes good," Buster Hoffman said.

Festival founder Nancy Fenske said the festival grew out of her late husband Roger's birthday party 12 years ago. They decided to have "a nut fry" at Mama's Place after bringing back lamb fries from a trip to Montana.

The event grew every year and now they fry up to 100 pounds of testicles, she said.

"What else can you do in a small town?" Fenske said.

Butch Joubert, 58, likes the parts sandwiched between bread with tartar sauce. They're not so different from regular meatballs also served at the festival, he said.

"After a few beers, you can't really tell the difference," Joubert said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This may be a nutty festival, but it raises a few questions. Is the theme song "Great Balls of Fire" by Jerry Lee Lewis? Are the festivities kicked off by someone shouting "Play Ball!"? Do they have a beauty pagent to crown the Testicle Queen? Is there a dance called the "Testicle Ball"? Would the Testicle Queen be the Belle of the Ball?

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Senara 
Posted: 16-May-2007, 07:28 AM
Quote Post

Musican/Ruler of the Dells/Warrior
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Caer Portshire, Mist Hollow

female

Can't answer your questions as I haven't been out to Elderon yet. I can plan to go next year and give you the full report. I think the one thing though that can answer your questions right away is the last line of the article....

"After a few beers, you can't really tell the difference," Joubert said.

ya...I know we small town cheeseheads come up with the silliest things to form a festival around....fish, testicles, pirates...ah well...it's what keeps the breweries in business....

--------------------
Senara-ism : Life is like a theatrical production only you get to be actor, director, and audience all at once. So break a leg, sit back and enjoy the show!

"When the waves are high and the light is dying, raise a glass and think of me..." -Gaelic Storm

Cha chòir dòrn a thoirt an aghaidh pòig.
A kiss ought not to be met with a fist.

Thig crioch air an saoghal, ach mairidh gaol is ceòl.
The world will pass away, but love and music last forever.

"I am a crazy, rabid squirrel! I want my cookies!" Hammy-Over the Hedge
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]