> Your Favorite Artists, Past and present
CelticRoz 
Posted: 07-Dec-2003, 03:51 PM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

Hi Roisin! good to hear from you. My work is done either in colored pencil or oils, but mostly colored pencil. I really love the medium. It takes a long time to finish a piece, but there is just something about that medium that really thrills me. I guess it is because I love to draw so much. I like that better than painting with a brush. Thanks for looking at my work, btw. Anxious to see yours! wink.gif

I hope your dream comes true for you to work full-time as an artist. It is a real blessing to be able to do so, but then a lot of work in trying to market it too. Kind of takes the enjoyment out of it. But I wish you much success! thumbs_up.gif smile.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 07-Dec-2003, 08:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

I had the pleasure of growing up not far from the home of Lou Kennel. He was the art director of the Metropolitan Opera in New York City. He also designed the floats for the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade in the 1930's and 40's.

We couldn't afford his paintings back then but I have since acquired 17 of his paintings at auctions and antique shops.

It was a lot of fun standing next to him in his barn workshop for hours watching him create his paintings. Sometimes he would ask what we wanted added in the painting and would gladly oblige.

The C.R. Bard Corporation built a new headquarters in Summit, New Jersey and purchased one of his opera backdrops for $330,000 and built the new lobby around the painting.

I also like paintings from George Wheatley. His paintings are all nautical by nature but his detail is what really stands out. Wheatley painted in the 1920's.

Another of my favorites is Hans Junga. He lived in The Thousand Islands of New York State and painted some incredible scenes of The Thousand Islands. Some of the sunsets are so real. I got to meet him a few years ago and unfortunately, he passed away last year.
PMEmail Poster               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 27-Jan-2004, 11:53 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (Roisin-Teagan @ Dec 2 2003, 04:24 PM)
I do admire Picasso's work even though most of his inspiration seem to come from an overactive sex drive...

There was a good Picasso exhibit at the High Museum of Art in Atlanta several years ago and I learned a lot about him there - there was such a wide variety of his art from different periods in his life. I never knew he started out doing such traditional-looking work, and I could see he was just trying to find his own way to express himself shen he began turning to the more abstract style he became so famous for.
There were some pieces that showed such a great sense of humor - I'll always remember this sculpture of a goat, made from bottles and baskets: it was so funny!

I always felt uncomfortable with Picasso's work somehow - have you seen some of his portraits of women?? I think he hated women sometimes; his art seems to show a love/hate obsession. Some of the portraits I saw of Dora Mar expressed such hostility it was disturbing.

But then again, I admire someone who can put that much emotion in a painting. That's a talent we artists can only hope to master sometimes...

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PM               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 27-Jan-2004, 01:50 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Call me weird, but Picasso is one artist I never cared for! rolleyes.gif
RavenWing 
Posted: 27-Jan-2004, 04:24 PM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

I think Picasso was amazing. Most people don't realize that he did "normal" art as well and it is stunning.

My all-time favorite artist is VanGogh. His works have left the most profound impact on my own work. I even did a copy of Starry Night when I was in early elementary school. I think that one may have won some awards. Anyway, Starry Night is still one of my favorite paintings. I'll see if I can find a link to it.

Starry Night

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 27-Jan-2004, 04:37 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

RW! The Van Gogh, Starry Night, is an amazing painting. I love his work too! Another underestimated artist of his time. sad.gif

Do you paint yourself? I can't remember..........my brain! rolleyes.gif I know we have talked about our favorite artists, but I forget if you said you did artwork too.

Like the kilt painted on your avatar idea though! wink.gif laugh.gif
RavenWing 
Posted: 28-Jan-2004, 12:21 PM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

female

QUOTE (CelticRose @ Jan 27 2004, 10:37 PM)
RW! The Van Gogh, Starry Night, is an amazing painting. I love his work too! Another underestimated artist of his time. sad.gif

Do you paint yourself? I can't remember..........my brain! rolleyes.gif I know we have talked about our favorite artists, but I forget if you said you did artwork too.

Like the kilt painted on your avatar idea though! wink.gif laugh.gif

I do paint some. I have just been blocked for ages.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 28-Jan-2004, 01:22 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

I am kind of going through a block period myself. I have drawn and painted all my life and for the past year and a half I have just had a really hard time with anything I have tried to do . It has been rather discouraging. I am going through some kind of mental block or something. I don't know what it is. sad.gif
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 29-Jan-2004, 09:55 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (RavenWing @ Jan 27 2004, 05:24 PM)
My all-time favorite artist is VanGogh. His works have left the most profound impact on my own work. ..

I've just been reading about Vincent, I got a great book that contains many of his letters to Theo and other people... its fascinating to read his accounts of where and when he did certain paintings, and also about his emotions during the creation of some of the drawings & paintings we're so familiar with now.

I saw some of his paintings first during the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta GA when they were part of the 'Rings' exhibit at the High; the strength of his colors alone was enough to stop me in my tracks. But the most amazing encounter was in 1998 at the Art Institute of Chicago; I entered one of the rooms and there was a self portrait that took my breath. I walked right up to it slowly and just stood there a minute... I swear there was such loneliness in those eyes, such a sense of the isolation an artist feels when they're working from the heart only to have people respond with indifference.
It felt like a conversation, and I think I actually murmured 'I wish I could give you a hug, Vinnie, everything is going to be okay.' sad.gif
PM               
RavenWing 
Posted: 29-Jan-2004, 10:14 AM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

female

QUOTE (Siusaidh Blues @ Jan 29 2004, 03:55 PM)
I've just been reading about Vincent, I got a great book that contains many of his letters to Theo and other people... its fascinating to read his accounts of where and when he did certain paintings, and also about his emotions during the creation of some of the drawings & paintings we're so familiar with now.

I saw some of his paintings first during the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta GA when they were part of the 'Rings' exhibit at the High; the strength of his colors alone was enough to stop me in my tracks. But the most amazing encounter was in 1998 at the Art Institute of Chicago; I entered one of the rooms and there was a self portrait that took my breath. I walked right up to it slowly and just stood there a minute... I swear there was such loneliness in those eyes, such a sense of the isolation an artist feels when they're working from the heart only to have people respond with indifference.
It felt like a conversation, and I think I actually murmured 'I wish I could give you a hug, Vinnie, everything is going to be okay.' sad.gif

EXACTLY! He was able to convey raw emotion in one swipe if a paintbrush. It is amazing.
PMEmail Poster               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 03-Feb-2004, 01:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

There is a point where technique becomes your own voice, isn't there, and you are able to take what's inside you and express it through your pencil or brush... sometimes I think my most important goal is to become eloquent!

Oops, the writer in me is peeking out there...
PM               
emerald-eyedwanderer 
  Posted: 28-Apr-2004, 03:39 PM
Quote Post

The Gypsy Artist
Group Icon

Group: Celtic Princess
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Wherever life takes me.

female

I have a wide range of favourites... biggrin.gif Where to start... Well of course I love all the brilliant artists like Van Gogh, Da Vinci, Munch, Picasso, Monet, and Michelangelo. Lately I have come across newer artists that I adore. Laurie Lipton is somewhat dark but her paintings are emotional.
http://www.laurielipton.com/index.html

--------------------
Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you judge people you have no time to love them. ~Mother Teresa

Help Out

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
emerald-eyedwanderer 
  Posted: 28-Apr-2004, 05:25 PM
Quote Post

The Gypsy Artist
Group Icon

Group: Celtic Princess
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Wherever life takes me.

female

I really like this site- check it out
http://www.artofimagination.org/

- Em
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Shadows 
Posted: 15-Sep-2004, 08:49 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

My all time favorite is M.C. Esher, but my favorite contemporary Is David Jones, a close and personal friend. He works mainly in acrilic, but has also worked in oils. The one I include here is one of my favorites.

Attached Image. (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image (Works with IE Only)

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
urian 
Posted: 16-Sep-2004, 11:20 AM
Quote Post

heretic. lurker in the shadows
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Texas

male

My favorite modern artist is faairly unknown unless you play card games like Vampire, werewolf or Magic the gathering.
His name is Richard Kane Ferguson and I can barely describe his work so I wll throw a link to a fan site with some of them

Kane's fan site

The other favorite is a long lost relative..tom lovell

Here are some links to his stuff

appomattox

.jpg]UNion fleet passing vicksburg

magazine covers

Moroni

I'll stop now..but he was such a talented artist I could go on

--------------------
'Dying for being different is still better than living as a Sheep'-anon
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]