> Looking For Campbell Clan Info, Genealogy
Camac
Posted: 08-Jul-2008, 10:14 AM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

QUOTE (UlsterScotNutt @ 08-Jul-2008, 07:59 AM)
QUOTE (Camac @ 07-Jul-2008, 05:18 PM)
QUOTE (UlsterScotNutt @ 07-Jul-2008, 04:42 PM)
It just dawned on me, a MacNaughton budding into the Campbells topic!!!!!!!!

Now if I could just find were you keep the cows and chickens!!!

USN

USN;

I was just looking at my Clan map. You poor buggers caught between the Campbell and the MacArthur. It's a wonder you survived. BTW. The MacArthur have the sheep and chickens. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I was looking at some old marraige records from Scotland that are now available online and was amazed to see how many MacNaughton, Campbell intermarraiages there were. I guess if you are neighbors, you either marry your cousin or you look at another clan across the ways a bit.
Clan MacNaughton did take a beating in Scotland and finally left to Ireland after losing all of their ancestral lands. Not to say you can't find any still there though.

USN; You also realize that they had a quaint custom of stealing women in those golden days of yore.

Camac.

UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 08-Jul-2008, 11:15 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: New England, USA

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 08-Jul-2008, 11:14 AM)
QUOTE (UlsterScotNutt @ 08-Jul-2008, 07:59 AM)
QUOTE (Camac @ 07-Jul-2008, 05:18 PM)
QUOTE (UlsterScotNutt @ 07-Jul-2008, 04:42 PM)
It just dawned on me, a MacNaughton budding into the Campbells topic!!!!!!!!

Now if I could just find were you keep the cows and chickens!!!

USN

USN;

I was just looking at my Clan map. You poor buggers caught between the Campbell and the MacArthur. It's a wonder you survived. BTW. The MacArthur have the sheep and chickens. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I was looking at some old marraige records from Scotland that are now available online and was amazed to see how many MacNaughton, Campbell intermarraiages there were. I guess if you are neighbors, you either marry your cousin or you look at another clan across the ways a bit.
Clan MacNaughton did take a beating in Scotland and finally left to Ireland after losing all of their ancestral lands. Not to say you can't find any still there though.

USN; You also realize that they had a quaint custom of stealing women in those golden days of yore.

Camac.

Women, children, goats, sheep, cattle, chickens, geese and all manner of items from wooden beams for your roof to utensils and everything in between.

I was just reading that it was a bigger crime to not assist in the recover of stolen goods than it was to actually steal the goods. Stealing was an accepted practice across the board. Apparenty this is where the phrase "Hot to Trod" originates from.
A Campbell steals a MacNaughton cow, the MacNaughtons give chase and stop at your cottage and ask for your assistance in chasing down the thief, if you did not join in Hot to Trod, you could legally be struck down on the spot.

Today Hot to trot has sexual overtones to it, but refers to being ready and willing , eager to partake.

USN

--------------------
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato(427-347 BC) Philosopher and Educator

Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind. Henry James (1843-1916) Writer

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire
kind people. -Abraham Joshua Heschel (1907-1972) Theology Professor
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Camac
Posted: 08-Jul-2008, 12:58 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

USN; MY Dad once told me a story, whether it is true or not, of how the MacArthurs' a neighbouring clans Kirk.

Camac.

UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 10-Jul-2008, 11:05 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 08-Jul-2008, 01:58 PM)
USN; MY Dad once told me a story, whether it is true or not, of how the MacArthurs' a neighbouring clans Kirk.

Camac.

Camac you mean stole the whole kirk??!!
Camac
Posted: 10-Jul-2008, 12:13 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

QUOTE (UlsterScotNutt @ 10-Jul-2008, 12:05 PM)
QUOTE (Camac @ 08-Jul-2008, 01:58 PM)
USN;  MY Dad once told me a story, whether it is true or not, of how the MacArthurs' a neighbouring clans Kirk.

Camac.

Camac you mean stole the whole kirk??!!

USN;;
According to the story,which no one knows is true or not, the MacArthurs not only stole the Kirk stone by stone, but the priest also. Had the whole thing carried back to their lands and rebuilt. Now knowing the MacArthurs as I do I could well believe they would do this. My Dad , after the war went to Inverrary in Scotland looking for his roots and in the town library when he asked the librarian for help she answered :What would you be wanting with that gang of robbers, looters and rapers". When he told her he was a MacArthur she left him standing there.

Camac.

0Ash0Tree0 
Posted: 10-Jul-2008, 09:30 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacReed

female

you're damn right we stole your kirk, although what we'd want a priest for is beyond me, and we'd do it again. lol

You know now that I think about it, I've only met on Campbell that I've ever really gotten on with...maybe it's genetic...no offence or anything- it's just my family seems to excelle at holding grudges FOREVER dry.gif what a family legacy that is...blah.

--------------------
Many times man lives and dies
Between his two eternities,
That of race and that of soul
And ancient Ireland knew it all.

" To a Scot, the past clings like sand to wet feet,
and is carried about as a burden.
The many ghosts are always a part of them, inescapable."
Geddes MacGregor

Hope, fear, false-joy, and trouble,
Are these four winds which daily toss this bubble,
His breath’s a vapour, and his life’s a span;
Tis glorious misery to be born a man.
~ from a Cornish gravestone

"Now I perceive the devil understands Welsh.”
"God defend me from that Welsh fairy,
Lest he transform me to a piece of cheese!”
William Shakespeare quotes

"Onen hag Oll", One and All (Cornwall's motto)
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 11-Jul-2008, 06:32 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

QUOTE (0Ash0Tree0 @ 10-Jul-2008, 10:30 PM)
you're damn right we stole your kirk, although what we'd want a priest for is beyond me, and we'd do it again.  lol

You know now that I think about it, I've only met on Campbell that I've ever really gotten on with...maybe it's genetic...no offence or anything- it's just my family seems to excelle at holding grudges FOREVER dry.gif  what a family legacy that is...blah.

OAshOTreeO;

One must remember that at the time of this alledged larcenous act the clans were newly converted to Catholicism and what use a Kirk without a Priest. Its a good thing there was a Convent attached to the Kirk. rolleyes.gif

Camac,

UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 11-Jul-2008, 10:33 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Boy, the Campbells and the MacArthurs sure are a cantankerous group, eh!!!!!!! and 0Ash0Tree0, you with MacNaughten blood too!!
beer_mug.gif note.gif thumbs_up.gif
Camac
Posted: 11-Jul-2008, 02:21 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

QUOTE (UlsterScotNutt @ 11-Jul-2008, 11:33 AM)
laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif Boy, the Campbells and the MacArthurs sure are a cantankerous group, eh!!!!!!! and 0Ash0Tree0, you with MacNaughten blood too!!
beer_mug.gif  note.gif  thumbs_up.gif

USN;

When you consider that the Campbells are an offshoot of the MacArthurs I guess that is to be expected. Hey maybe the Kirk was the MacNaughtons'. rolleyes.gif laugh.gif cheers.gif

Camac.

PS> We'd better get back on subject.Eh.

0Ash0Tree0 
Posted: 13-Jul-2008, 05:22 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacReed

female

you should meet my family laugh.gif eh, their not that bad. But your right Camac we should get back on topic...I have found nothing new... sad.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 13-Jul-2008, 07:56 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

QUOTE (0Ash0Tree0 @ 13-Jul-2008, 06:22 AM)
you should meet my family laugh.gif eh, their not that bad. But your right Camac we should get back on topic...I have found nothing new... sad.gif

To get back on subject, I believe Amergin was enquiring into the Campbell Clann.
There are four main branches of the Campbells, Argyle, Breadalbane, Loudon, and Cawdor. Breadalbane is the senior branch and the Dukedom of Argyle usually springs from that branch. Argyle, Breadalbane, and Loudon all sit within Argyllshire whereas Cawdor is located mainly to the North and east. In order to really trace ones family you have to first determine which branch you stem from. Each branch has its following of septs. In searching for the history of Clann Campbell you will find that there is argument as to who is a sept of whom when int comes to the Campbell-MacArthur relationship. Even the renowned historian Skene, in my opinion, got it wrong and places the Campbells as senior. The history of the MacArthurs' goes back long before the Campbells show up. Even to-day the argument persist but it seems the evidence is pointing more to the MacArthur Clann. As the saying in Argyleshire goes "There is Nothing Older,unless the Hills, MacArthur, or the Devil".

Camac.

UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 13-Jul-2008, 07:59 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Has anyone here participated in any DNA projects?

Ex: http://www.familytreedna.com/surname_det.a...?group=Campbell

USN
Camac
Posted: 13-Jul-2008, 08:10 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

QUOTE (UlsterScotNutt @ 13-Jul-2008, 08:59 AM)
Has anyone here participated in any DNA projects?

Ex: http://www.familytreedna.com/surname_det.a...?group=Campbell

USN

USN;

No. Bit hesitant as I might find out I'm more English than Scot and then I would have to end it all death.gif rip_1.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

flora 
Posted: 14-Jul-2008, 06:59 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

Did anyone see the program "Battle of the Clans" on the history international channel?

I found it very interesting but didn't know if it was accurate. The DVD is available for sale but I would like someone's opinion before I buy.

Could someone also give me direction for researching ancestry for the surname Flora? Finding it difficult to weed through all ladies by the first name of Flora.

Thanks,

Flora

--------------------
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit." -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
K. Gibran

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
John Muir
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 14-Jul-2008, 07:13 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

QUOTE (flora @ 14-Jul-2008, 07:59 PM)
Did anyone see the program "Battle of the Clans" on the history international channel?

I found it very interesting but didn't know if it was accurate. The DVD is available for sale but I would like someone's opinion before I buy.

Could someone also give me direction for researching ancestry for the surname Flora? Finding it difficult to weed through all ladies by the first name of Flora.

Thanks,

Flora

Flora;

The only thing I can think of is to Google "Surname Flora" and see what results you get.

Camac.

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]