> Clan stewart
kylassie 
Posted: 24-Nov-2001, 08:15 PM
Quote Post

1st Queen of Scotland

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Kentucky

Presisely why I don't want to make any gross Tartan errors - I would never be able to live it down! ;)

--------------------
Slainte,

Janet

aka Kentucky Lassie

aka Janet, Queen of Scots :p
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
  Posted: 25-Nov-2001, 10:33 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

No Problem as I did start out I understand your feelings. It's just you sounded like you thought you'd end up on the 6 PM news being shown as the worst of show or something like that.  :p  So long as you're happy with it fine just want to make sure you're doing it for yourself and your family and not the wackos who want to try and judge others for how they choose to dress.

Personally I think tartan police or similar type groups are wrong. instead of showing and pointing out mistakes on websites they should instead put together a website showing the right way of doing it that way people can learn the proper way not just see how bad someone else looks. I would like to see pictures of them dressed up I bet we could find something wrong with their get up as well if we tried hard enough.  :D
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
  Posted: 25-Nov-2001, 04:16 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Yeah I hear you on tiny libraries. My local one isn't that good. I study tax law and can't even get a copy of the Federal Statutes our library is so small and even the Scottish area only has a couple books in it. They really need to expand their collection allot to make it worth it.

Also hear you on hollyweird  :p Good example of a movie is Braveheart while overall story is true it has been edited to meet hollyweirds standards not very accurate when you know the true history.

On the description if you can if it's not to many pages why not Copy them and get the proper crdit info and we can post them on the site. With of course credit given to the proper people. If it's not to many pages. If you don't have a scanner or a friend who can scan them in for you I do have a scanner.  :)
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 25-Nov-2001, 02:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

You'd love where my mom use to volunteer. For about 15-20 years they had lived in Maine and she volunteered for about the last 5-6 years at the Joshua Chamberlin house in Brunswick Maine. They now live in Fredericksburg VA. they hit allot of the Civil War Historical Sites when they get the time. Seems to be a hobby of sorts for them though they aren't into reenacting themselves per say but they do goto such events when they get the chance. We went to one down here in Charleston SC about 7-8 years ago when they came for a visit was allot of fun. Got my wife a broach which she wears allot not the standard cameo but sort of an old fashion look to it is really neat.  :)

Also I noticed you found my forum. Left you a reply when you get a chance will explain the confusion.

PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 25-Nov-2001, 06:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

How many pages are we talking? If to many might be more trouble then it's worth to scan them all in. ???

Depending on answer to first question might be best to start with most current and work our way backwards as most people would want to know what is acceptable at present. We can pin the topics in cronological order so they get in the right order and not buried some where in the pages as the board builds in topics.  :)

As for Scanned pages if your friend does this for you you can just either have him/her mail them to me ay [email protected] or you can mail them yourself and I can do them up in a web page of sorts where folks can read them for themselves. Obviously depends on how many pages and such don't want you to have to copy the entire book.  ;)

PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 26-Nov-2001, 06:21 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

IS your daughter finished with her report or still looking for material? If so what's the topic on maybe I can get some doo info for her to read. Can usually find anything I need when searching so... :)
PMEmail Poster               
aklassie 
Posted: 26-Nov-2001, 08:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Texas

female

She's not finished with it yet.  She has until the second week in Dec.  She still needs stuff on economy, population, maps, and soom good photos that aren't copyrighted so she can print glossies.  The report is for World History, they each had to pick a country.  Of course she picked Scotland.  In our family there's about 5 clans we are septs to. She gets it from both sides.:D   She has to do a big display so the more she gets the better the grade.  Any help she can get I know she would love.

--------------------
"They That Wait Upon The LORD,
Shall Renew Their Strength,
They Shall Mount Up With Wings
As Eagels,
They Shall Run,
And Not Be Werry;
They Shall Walk,
And Not Faint." ISAIAH 40:31
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
kylassie 
Posted: 18-Nov-2001, 10:28 AM
Quote Post

1st Queen of Scotland

ZodiacBirch

I am also interested in the most appropriate way to wear our Tartan - as I understand it, women should not wear kilts - this should be reserved for the bravest of men! I intend to wear our colors as an "arisaidh." Any comments regarding the appropriateness of this would also be greatly appreciated.

http://207.233.128.59/arisaidh.htm
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
  Posted: 19-Nov-2001, 08:41 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Thanks Janet will have a look through.  :)
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
  Posted: 21-Nov-2001, 12:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Hi Janet

Here are some links you might well be interested in then that have to do with Scots in the American Civil war or at least those reenactors who also have Scottish roots.

79th New York Volunteer Infantry

Alexander Gardener : Scottish Photographer of the Civil War

http://webex.lib.ed.ac.uk/abstracts/peters01.pdf

Ethnic Scottish Regiments in the American Civil War

Not sure if any will help but at least at quick glance seems to have some connections between the Scots and the American Civil War.  :)
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
  Posted: 21-Nov-2001, 10:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

OK when I get chance tomorrow will have a quick search for that time frame and see what I can pull up am dead beat tonight. Spent last hour and 1/2 fiddling with your Uncle Joes picture. Had him all done when my system crashed had to start was scratch. Was just going to save him too when it crash  :angry: so this time I saved as I went. Wasn't hard just had to find the right pictures to go over the one from Electric Scotland. But was fun I like fiddling with graphics some though am not that good at it compared to some people who do graphics.

Anywho if I don't see you all before tomorrow have a great Thanksgiving. And don't eat too much gobble gobble otherwise you might turn into one  :p
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
  Posted: 25-Nov-2001, 06:27 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

While I understand you feelings, but tell me why would you want to please anybody but yourself and your family?  ???
PMEmail Poster               
kylassie 
Posted: 25-Nov-2001, 10:15 AM
Quote Post

1st Queen of Scotland

ZodiacBirch

It is not the Tartan Police I want to try to please Scottish2. I am trying to please my family, but also to honor my ancestors. I know you are not religious, and I am not fanatical about it myself, but I can't help but imagine my great great great grand parents, sitting on the edge of their clouds looking down and asking "What the #### are they supposed to be dressed like? Who told them that we looked like that?"  I want to honor my ancestors - not insult them!

I will dress up and wear my "Sunday Best" to some events, naturaly, but when I wear the Tartan, I intend to do it correctly. Must be woolen, must be correct length, colors must at least be of correct threads - not the golden or silver tablecloth fabric found today. Must be worn correctly in that men wear kilts and ladies wear arisaidhs, and not vise versa. I am not a "kilt-snob" by any means, others may dress as they please, and more power to them, but I want to do mine correctly for my children. That is part of our Highland history and heritage that I am seeking to preserve.

Think of it this way, when the Native Americans gather together for a pow-wow to honor their ancestors, they do it correctly. You will not see anyone except the tourists who will try to pass a Wal Mart Halloween get-up as an authentic Native American Dress. The real Native Americans' eagle feathers are actual eagle feathers and not pink and purple feather duster feathers. They do the best job that they know how to do, to keep their history and heritage alive for their children. It important to them, just like my Scots heritage is no less important to me.

Does that help you to understand where my concern lies? It is not just about dressing for "show" it is about dressing for "real."  

:D

Slainte,

Janet
PMEmail Poster               
kylassie 
Posted: 25-Nov-2001, 04:05 PM
Quote Post

1st Queen of Scotland

ZodiacBirch

Scottish2,

I have been to the local library today, and I have found the third volume of Scottish material that they posses - I have read the other two. (very tiny library). It is called Tartans by Christian Hesketh (1961) and it contains 123 illustrations in color & black and white, of the Tartans and plaids and how they have been worn throughout the ages, and it gives a very good description regarding how kilts should be worn, and so on. It also says that they discourage women and girls from dressing up like men, and that they should wear frocks with tartan sashes or aisaids.  Of course, this was 40 years ago, so the attitudes regarding women and kilts have probably changed since then, perhaps? I think that Hollywood has far too much influence on the history and heritage of any given culture. The Scottish re-enactment websites I have seen show women bearing a resemblence to either Braveheart Aristocratic "Princess" clothing, or to Xena Warrior Princess with leather and lace get ups.

???
PMEmail Poster               
aklassie 
Posted: 26-Nov-2001, 04:34 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Texas

female

kylassie, I hope you do send the pages in.  I for one would love to read what you have found.  Like you I want to wear the right garb.  Here in Fairbanks, Ak, our library is quite small also.  My daughter has had a hard time getting her report on Scotland done.  Thank God for the internet! !
Good luck can't waite to read what you send in.:D
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]