Posted: 11-Aug-2004, 04:55 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Linux is A1 in my book! I wouldn't go back to just Winblows if you paid me. (If you paid me enough I might install it on all my boxen long enough to get my money and watch for your back to be turned, then put Linux back on them. $1,000,000.00? Plus the cost of the software licenses? I will say, however, that I still don't think it's quite ready for average Joe's desktop. The dependancy loops are still perhaps a little more than most might be ready for. In order to install Gimp, for example, it's handy to have or required to have already installed the following:

X
libjpeg
libpng
GTK2
perl

And some others

X has more dependancies, as does GTK...

Now this may not come into play big time with a distro anymore, after all I am running on LFS where I have to install these myself. But it's not strange to run into similar loops several places. Linux would rule the roost I believe in a corporate environment where the end users aren't the administrator of the machine, and it's already a huge factor in the server market which is where it really shines smile.gif But I'll still admit that Windows is still better for Average I-don't-know-computers Joe's desktop despite the bloat, bugs, crashes, expense, and privacy invasion involved with Microsoft products.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
ErikDeckers 
Posted: 13-Aug-2004, 09:29 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacOak

Realm: Orlando, FL

male

QUOTE (gtrplr @ 10-Aug-2004, 03:17 PM)
Instead, they put up with spy/ad/malware, viruses, trojan horses and computer crashes. They spend a small fortune on software from third parties designed to fix the problem, hire consultants to clean their computers and fix the problem and a week later, they're as bad off as before.

Why? Do they not know that better software is available? Do they not care? Do they believe the guys at the computer store who tell them "Linux? You don't want Linux. It's only for hackers. You need to run WindowsXP, despite its security problems. Of course, you'll also need XYZ and ABC for your computer or it'll run really slow and eventually crash. That will be $599, please."

This is one reason why I still believe Macs rock -- to date, there have been less than 30 viruses written for the Macintosh, and over 15 of them were little gimmicks designed to display a clever message on a specific date, over 10 years ago.

Hopefully the XP SP2 will solve some of these problems. My company designs software that allows blind computer users to hear their computer (it's called a screen reader), and we've been following the SP2 developments very closely.

You can also stop popups with the Google toolbar. I've had mine in for about a month now, and to date it's stopped 153 popup windows.

Erik Deckers

--------------------
[color=blue][b]Erik Deckers
Visit my weekly humor blog
Laughing Stalk[COLOR=blue]
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]