Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Mentor And Guide, do you have or wish to have one?
Nancy-Raven 
Posted: 11-Jul-2005, 08:28 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Quebec

female

After I have read something I was extremely curious to know how many of you in any path of paganism have a mentor or guide.How did you find it and how it work for you?Is it someone on the web or a person you met ?Do you see it often or just a few time here and there?

I personnally don't have and never had a mentor .Sometimes I wish I could have a grandmother or someone who can show me a few things but I just follow my road without this kind of help.

Is there anyone who take courses on Witchschool?My sister take some course and she have a mentor for this.Anyone else?I don't , course who interest me are not free and anyway I have hundred of book on the subject.
PMEmail Poster               
Nightchild 
Posted: 11-Jul-2005, 11:57 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHolly

female

I'm not attending any witch school, although I know, there are several good ones here in Berlin. They are just so very expensive.

The thought of having a guide somehow makes me think of old ages. I know, that's not what you were talking about... I just can't explain why I think of that...

Anyway, I don't have a mentor. I joined a circle almost 2 years ago, so I don't have a guide, I have many, which naturally is, because I'm the latest member, so I know least and have to learn the most.
But as I think of it: It's much easier when you have someone to ask and teach you.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster                
Shadows 
Posted: 11-Jul-2005, 03:33 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

In the circle of life any being that you meet that causes you to think or make a change is a mentor. I do not believe in coincidence, everything and everyone has something to teach you if you just know where to look and take the time to learn from that exposure...

Being aware, listening to the wind, watching the beasts, and looking to your spirit are the best things one could do.

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Swanny 
Posted: 11-Jul-2005, 04:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

Whenever I've needed a teacher, one has come into my life. Some would call it "coincidence", but I don't believe in coincidence. Everything is interconnected and everything happens for a reason.

Swanny

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
Moon Child 
Posted: 13-Jul-2005, 03:08 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Saskatchewan, Canada

female

I myself have a mentor who is also my one of my very best friends. She has taught me most of what I have learned but over the past couple of years I have gone into other aspects of the religion on my own. I still talk to her if I have any questions but find now that it's no longer a student-teacher realtionship. I am hapy though that I have her since I would have felt lost trying to figure out stuff on my own with all the books and web sites that they have now!!!
PMEmail Poster                
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 25-Jul-2005, 05:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (Swanny @ 11-Jul-2005, 06:09 PM)
Whenever I've needed a teacher, one has come into my life. Some would call it "coincidence", but I don't believe in coincidence. Everything is interconnected and everything happens for a reason.

Swanny

I second that. I don't believe in coincidence either.

I have no mentor or guide which is not surprising because you won't find many of them on this side of the pond who are following the Native American spirituality. I have the possibility to ask question to a very dear friend in the USA though or to exchange...but not on a daily or regular basis.

What I have learnt is what Swanny also said: Whenever I needed a guide I met "someone". Not a person necessarily. I'm walking my way sheltered between Earth Mother and the Great Spirit and whenever I'm in need of guidance and ready to listen I get it.

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Swanny 
Posted: 26-Jul-2005, 11:11 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

I'm more than a little bit curious, Gaberlunzie - I know there is a considerable interest in America's western history in Germany and quite a bit of interest in Native American material and social culture, but how does one in Germany become exposed to Native American spirituality on anything more than a superficial level?

I have lived among Natives nearly all of my life, and still find it difficult to sort the "wheat from the chaff" from time to time. My own influences are primarily Anishinabe and Lakota, but I've lately been spending a great deal of time communicating with an old Alabamoo Muskogee (Creek) friend who is so powerful that it's almost frightening. I believe Shadows also knows, or at least is acquainted with, Little Sparrow.

Swanny

PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 26-Jul-2005, 04:12 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

I have met Little Sparrow only one or two times and the power could be felt, my main Native influence was Rain Crow, a Shawnee chief and shaman... his powers were great.
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 28-Jul-2005, 05:49 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (Swanny @ 26-Jul-2005, 01:11 PM)
I'm more than a little bit curious, Gaberlunzie - I know there is a considerable interest in America's western history in Germany and quite a bit of interest in Native American material and social culture, but how does one in Germany become exposed to Native American spirituality on anything more than a superficial level?

I have lived among Natives nearly all of my life, and still find it difficult to sort the "wheat from the chaff" from time to time. My own influences are primarily Anishinabe and Lakota, but I've lately been spending a great deal of time communicating with an old Alabamoo Muskogee (Creek) friend who is so powerful that it's almost frightening. I believe Shadows also knows, or at least is acquainted with, Little Sparrow.

Swanny

How comes....well, it just happened, Swanny. It's like it has been inside me all my life. I know it might sound weird and sometimes I have been even labeled nuts for it. In another thread here ("what drew you to Paganism?") I answered part of your question...Maybe you'll read this first?

I have been interested in what you called "Native American material" very early in my life as I felt a very strong affinity. It is a very serious interest beyond this kind of romanticism and "Hollywood" that I have been I following since I was 13.
I have been studying and reading for years and years. I was raised Christian and because of some occurences and circumstances in my life it took me very long until I allowed myself to walk new pathes. I met a Native American of the Northern Cheyenne tribe and spent hours and hours and even days with talking to him...or better said listening to him. It was a kind of relevation for me because I now could put into words what I have been feeling and thinking and not been able to talk about or to exchange.
I have met others since and I am learning and will be learning all my life but I found my home without any doubt.

I'm not very good in talking about it; I hope I was able to give you an idea though.
Swanny 
Posted: 28-Jul-2005, 04:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Let me apologize for not being more clear in my original post, as it caused a bit of confusion. when I wrote "Native American material and social culture".

Material culture refers to the way in which a people create and use material objects (their stuff). Social culture refers to the way in which they interact among themselves and with those of other cultures.

You did an excellent job of explaining yourself. No problem understanding it at all.

megwetch

Swanny
PMEmail Poster               
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 29-Jul-2005, 03:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

I have to apologise for not having read your original post more attentively; I appreciate your explanation, Swanny!
Megwich neh neka...thank you, my friend.

Gabby
Sėmeag 
Posted: 27-Feb-2009, 05:01 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Sassan

female

QUOTE (Nancy-Raven @ 11-Jul-2005, 02:28 PM)
After I have read something I was extremely curious to know how many of you in any path of paganism have a mentor or guide.How did you find it and how it work for you?Is it someone on the web or a person you met ?Do you see it often or just a few time here and there?

Is there anyone who take courses on Witchschool?My sister take some course and she have a mentor for this. I don't , course who interest me are not free and anyway I have hundred of book on the subject.

I don't have one mentor or guide, I have several. In fact, I have a whole support network; wherein each person helps with different aspects.

As to witchschool, I cannot recommend them, as most of what I've heard from those that started with them is that they require more and more money as time goes on, whereas the information they provide is freely available elsewhere. Besides which, didn't they recently go bankrupt and have to sell their premises?

--------------------
Tha mi'n dochas gu bheil an eadar theangachadh ceart!
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

Š Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]