> Webpages
Falachaidh 
  Posted: 22-Apr-2002, 03:42 AM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Central Florida

I just wondered if there was a timeout system for the webpages. Last night, while creating, I spent more time logging back into the webspace than I did creating.
I've done quite a bit of work. There are more questions I have, but will have to post again.. as I cannot remember them all.
Oh, while in the text, is there a way to insert a reference link inside of a word or phrase? i mean, does html work within the text?
Also, I noticed on my webspace, the managing files, I only have 1 meg of space. On the main highlander radio page, you advertise 2 megs. Typo? or did I miss somethign somewhere?
This is really of great importance because if we are only able to use 1 meg, I will have to unload my pictures  (cry)

--------------------
Dance Life to the Fullest.
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 22-Apr-2002, 05:41 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

One option for pictures is to get a s ite which offers free storage and upload your pictures there and link to them to conserve space in the site file manager. I still have some of my grapgcs stored this way left over from when I was on other sites like geocities and such was a great way to have more on my site then was allowed by file size yet not go over the allowed file size either.
PMEmail Poster               
Falachaidh 
  Posted: 23-Apr-2002, 01:48 AM
Quote Post

ZodiacBirch

That's great and I will surely think about it, but my questions weren't answered  :(
Can you please answer them?
thanks so much  :D
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 23-Apr-2002, 05:45 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Sorry about that when I first answered I had not had chance to fiddle at all as this is new to me as well. And a few I needed to mention to Paul as they are definate in his domain of answers.

OK before I answer part of your question. One thing you could do if you are having troubles with the editor is to use an offline editor you like (note I am not sure if frontpage extensions work or not in case you use frontpage and having troubles. I don't use frontpage so unsure) but use an offline editor and upload your desired page. Might be also a good alternative if you have an editor you like best.

Ok I hope this works. So follow along closely OK.

You click the add button and add your text. Now here's the tricky part as you have to click the correct add. Right after you are finished with your first part of the text click save now in the page viewing box find your new text. Right after this is a new button that says edit. Right after this should be a SECOND button saying add. Click on this now add your hyperlink URL and hit save. Now to continue typing normal text find your hyperlink and directly after this is the new edit link for your URL and right after the edit button is a 3rd ADD button click this and continue with your text. I just tried this and it works fine for adding URL's into say a paragraph of normal text.

As for the time out I think there is and will check with Paul on this as that is something he controls but I believe there is. Did you happen to notice how long or short it is?

PS I just mailed Paul this message as he's been quite busy with classes and all so wanted to make sure you got a timely response on this so I mailed him your questions and the post so he can try and solve this for you. I also noticed in the mail area the timeing out wasn't to long a period so maybe just a setting is too short or something.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 23-Apr-2002, 07:14 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
222,496 Gold!

Quote (Falachaidh @ April 22 2002,05:42)
I just wondered if there was a timeout system for the webpages. Last night, while creating, I spent more time logging back into the webspace than I did creating.
I've done quite a bit of work. There are more questions I have, but will have to post again.. as I cannot remember them all.
Oh, while in the text, is there a way to insert a reference link inside of a word or phrase? i mean, does html work within the text?
Also, I noticed on my webspace, the managing files, I only have 1 meg of space. On the main highlander radio page, you advertise 2 megs. Typo? or did I miss somethign somewhere?
This is really of great importance because if we are only able to use 1 meg, I will have to unload my pictures  (cry)

I believe the timeout session is set for 30 minutes, so in light of your troubles with this feature (or rather hinderence) we will increase it to 2 hours. This should give plenty of time for you to create your page, but as a general rule you might want to save your creation every half hour.

I will double check your space on the server. It should be set to 2 megs, but it is possible I might have goofed when calculating the kilobytes. I will double check it tonight. Also, for someone like yourself (and this goes to anyone) that is willing to create and put alot of work into your site, I am more than willing to grant additional space to accomadote your good work!

Let me look into your other questions. Perhaps it might be helpful if we setup a chat time in the Highlander Radio chat room for questions on using the editor. I also have nation wide cell phone plan were I can call anywhere in the states after 7:00, so I would be willing to help people with there questions that way too.

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
scottish2 
Posted: 23-Apr-2002, 07:22 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Well why don't we just set a time now and we can arrange as needed. A help session chat of say 9PM EST on Tuesdays or Wednesdays work well for me most weeks and willing to help where I can.  Post alsternate suggestions here for a help session chat. :)
PMEmail Poster               
Falachaidh 
  Posted: 23-Apr-2002, 04:38 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacBirch

PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 23-Apr-2002, 05:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
222,496 Gold!

:D It is great hearing about your adventures in HTML!!! I absolutely  (h)  hearing about people creating their own pages and Falachaidh, you have done a very nice job with your page!!!

Unfortunately, I will be at work at 10:00 a.m. The best time for me is after 6:00 p.m. if you have questions- we can meet in the Highlander Chat room.

One item you might want to consider for conserving space is compressing your pictures. Alot of times you can compress a picture by more than 50% by using a small graphic utililty. Paint Shop Pro does this nicely.

Keep up the good work with your site!  (*)  (*)  (*)
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
scottish2 
Posted: 23-Apr-2002, 06:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Yeah it's best to learn HTML. I have yet to date see any On-line Editors anywhere that do as good a job as you can get by knowing even alittle HTML. You want a reawlly easy to understand HTML book try Learn HTML in a Weekend Is really easy to understand comes with a CD with programs and such. RUns 24.99 though I bought it at a discount book store even cheaper. Is a great handy guide book.
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 23-Apr-2002, 06:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

I can try and make it for 10AM EST. Let me know if you mean a different time being with timezone as unclear as to if 10 AM your time or EST.
PMEmail Poster               
Falachaidh 
  Posted: 24-Apr-2002, 02:48 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacBirch

*chuckles* actually it would be 10am est, but Australian est.
But it looks like we're going out this morning as it's a holiday (ANZAC Day) and I don't want to miss the parade and my last minute opportunities to see the last of Oz before I go.
I will be home this weekend. I think it's best for me to just wait until I return.
I desperately need to re-pack!
PMEmail Poster               
Falachaidh 
  Posted: 08-Apr-2003, 04:17 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacBirch

am i just not remembering, but what happened to celtichearts websites? i can't seem to find mine, let alone find anyones anymore ???
Julia
aka, Falachaidh

ps- Thanks for the remembering the password tip :)
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 08-Apr-2003, 06:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Well you've been abscent without leave for awhile so you are unaware but Paul had a major falling out with the folks that supplied his website space and such so he started building his own webserver so with all this at least for the present time he decided it's best to support the station first and then the forum and then if possible once it's all tested and such maybe bring them back if he can but for now websites and mail had to end for the time being. Hopefully this can change in the future though after a full testing of it all. I know he is trying to work something with the mail through an external website but unsure where he stands with this. So for now things are closed until he gets things fully back up and running
PMEmail Poster               
Faileas 
  Posted: 13-Apr-2003, 10:07 AM
Quote Post

Guardian of Scotland :-)
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Isle of Skye

female

hi folks! I think theres a serious bug of websititis going round amongst us listeners lol. I ve been infected by it and have started building my own website. Being the complete beginner in these things that i am i used the programme of my email provider which is quite good for the start and easy to use. However it of course limits the possibility of designing the site but still ... Anyway if ye want have a look at http://mysite.freeserve.com/tirnanog. It s nothing great but it ' s a start and once i have something going and know how things work i ll look for a better how ye call that webhost? And - if ye discover some mistakes concerning the historical bit of Scotland or the location on my fotos feel free to let me know by e-mail. :laugh:

--------------------
Scottish in Heart :-))

In the darkest heart the pride of man will walk allone

's ged tha mi fada bhuat cha dhealaich sinn a chaoidh

Darkover RPG
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 13-Apr-2003, 11:02 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Flower just so you know I fixed your URL for ya. I have moderator status on the board (not sure if Paul or I ever mentioned it) but I can edit posts and the URL you gave wasn't working because you had a period at the end of it which was messing it up. So I moved the period outside so the URL now works and folks can visit your site.

Now Have a tip before you get to involved here. That background is extremely hard on the eyes. If you have Paint Shop Pro 7 and need some help there is a way to tone down the background to make it easier on the eyes, but when using backgrounds you don't want them to distract the visitor from your sites message or items it contains. As I said though if you want to use it but maybe tone it down so as not to be so distractig I can show you how or do a few samples up if you want to see. Takes but a minute or two to do and is simple.

If you have any questions feel free to ask am comfortable with most HTML and some more advanced languages I can figure out if I study what's going on. I also have some good sources for things like counters and guestbooks and such. :)
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]