Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Abstinence Only Programs?, What's your take?

Do you believe "abstinence only" sex education programs work?
Yes [ 11 ]  [42.31%]
No [ 15 ]  [57.69%]
Total Votes: 26
Guests cannot vote 
Shadows 
Posted on 26-Oct-2004, 09:29 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

Just one question:

How many of us would not be here to read this if this program was in effect many years ago?

Don't fool yourselves, our parents were not saints!

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Tassiecelt 
Posted on 26-Oct-2004, 10:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacOak

Realm: Tasmania, Australia

male

That's not the issue.
The matter I raise concerns teaching the children of christian parents the things which Jesus Christ taught.

He clearly taught against fornication, while showing compassion towards those who were guilty of it.

--------------------
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
ErikDeckers 
Posted on 28-Oct-2004, 10:20 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacOak

Realm: Orlando, FL

male

QUOTE (Tassiecelt @ 26-Oct-2004, 10:18 PM)
Abstinence before marraige is God's way, it's not easy, but it's best. Anything else is fornication and sin.

Condoms are not the way to go, we should teach our kids the truth that they DO NOT fully protect against disease or pregnancy.
(eg. the AIDS virus is much smaller than the holes in the material condoms are made from).

First, the AIDS virus is spread through bodily fluids. It doesn't just travel by itself -- you can't catch it by touching someone with AIDS, or from a toilet seat, etc. So the size of the holes in a condom have nothing to do with how the virus is spread. It has to do with whether the person has unprotected sex or not. The best way to prevent AIDS is to not have sex. The second best way is to have PROTECTED sex.

I agree that abstinence is God's way. And parents should be teaching this to their children. However, given the high rate of teen pregnancy, pre-marital sex, and STDs among teenagers tells me that they're not listening. But then, when have they ever. . . ?

Second, it has been shown that abstinence-ONLY programs are not working. There are higher instances of teen pregnancy and STDs among students of the abstinence-only programs than sex education programs; it was also shown that the number of teens having sex was the SAME in BOTH programs.

There were a couple studies released over the summer that demonstrated this, including one by US Health and Human Services. This greatly embarrassed the Bush administration, since they have touted abstinence-only programs as being the best way to prevent pregnancies and STDs. As their own studies showed, this is not the case.

In essence, neither program reduces the occurrence of sex that teenagers are having. But the sex education program is actually helping reduce the number of pregnancies and STDs.

While I believe people should wait until they're married before they have sex, I know that many of them don't. Let's face it, there are obviously many MANY occasions where a teen's hormones trump their faith, even among Christian teenagers. It doesn't help that teenagers think they're invincible anyway. So passions ignite and common sense goes right out the window, and the kids think it won't happen to them. But the sad truth -- as the government's own study indicates -- it happens to them more if they don't take some sort of precaution.

So it comes down to this: I don't want my own kids to make a stupid choice and have sex before they're married. But if they go against my wishes, I want them to make a less stupid choice and use a condom to prevent potentially-catastrophic consequences.

Which discussion would you rather have: "I wish you would not have had sex before you were married" or "I wish you would not have gotten pregnant/AIDS/herpes"?

Erik Deckers

--------------------
[color=blue][b]Erik Deckers
Visit my weekly humor blog
Laughing Stalk[COLOR=blue]
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.
maryellen 
Posted on 28-Oct-2004, 10:43 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: England
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

female

I don't think Tassie was saying AIDS is spread by itself. If you read it, she states it travels through the permeable condom. In other words, when people are exchanging their bodily fluids with a condom, AIDS can still be spread.

I also don't think we can rely soley on studies. Statistics can be easily twisted by whatever their agenda is. A stats 100 course will teach this. Also, I have seen other studies where teenagers having protected sex like crazy have a 10x higher rate for girls to get ovarian cysts.
Or something to the like. So, I find studies are a moot point. Remember, studies are what got Vioxx okay'ed by the FDA. The only point I agree with his God's point.
There are consequences to actions. We can't protect irresponsible people forever.

--------------------
Seize the time,. . .live now, make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again- Star Trek TNG

"The report of my death was an exaggeration."
-Mark Twain, After reading his own obituary, June 2, 1897

If you ever have a world, plan ahead, don't eat it! - Star Trek TNG
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted on 28-Oct-2004, 07:08 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

There is another factor here....

Most Kids today are over protected, pampered and unprepared for life.
In Jesu's time most people were married and had some sort of trade or business by the time they were in their mid teens, abstainence was a mog point, it is our society today that has caused a lot of the troubles that our youth encounter...I will stop there.
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
dragonboy3611 
Posted on 08-Nov-2004, 10:16 AM
Quote Post

A Friend to who needs one.
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacBirch

Realm: USA, New York

male

QUOTE (MacAibhistin @ 15-Sep-2004, 11:17 PM)
While I agree with all those who say it is the parent's job to teach these sorts of moral things, the fact is most don't. Take it from a teacher. Therefore, I don't see how we have a choice. A better informed public will be able to make wiser decisions than those whose knowledge is based on trashy magazines, Hollywood movies, and locker room BS!

Rory

Very true...

You can tell people not to do something, but if they are set on doing it, they will go ahead and do it.

The right thing to do is to just not have naughty.gif in the first place...but that will never happen.

--------------------
"Men at some time are masters of their fate"
Jul Caesar, Act i, Sc.2

"When sorrow comes, they come not single spies, but in battalions"
Hamlet, Act iv, Sc.5

"All that lives must die, passing through nature to eternity"
Hamlet, Act i, Sc.2
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]