> Adult Freedom, Kids muckin' with Dad.
Camac
Posted: 30-Apr-2008, 09:21 AM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

By Beelzebub Backside who changed the rules. Since when do children tell parents what they can and cannot do?. I am in the process of making arrangements to rent a sailboat for a couple of weeks in July to do some singlehanding on the Lake. My daughters caught wind of it and are saying I can't do that. Main reasons 1. I'm to old to single hand . 2. I had 2 heart attacks 7 years ago. My heart is fine and noway am I to old to go sailing. I sailed for 25 years and I know Lake Ontario like the back of my hand. I just would like one last good 2 week sail before I really do have to give it up, I know it sound like whinning but its been 10 years since I have been out there and I really miss it. They did say I could go but someone has to go with me and I don't really want that. I doing it to get away for those two weeks. .
The battlelines are drawn now I need allies.

Camac.

PS. I know the girls love me and care for me but if I have to go what better way.

Madadh 
Posted: 30-Apr-2008, 09:47 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fort Worth Texas

male

I find that when my children start talking about me and what I should be or not be doing, I just take out a notebook and start jotting down some notes.

When asked what I am doing I simply say ...... not much I am just leaving myself some instructions on what portions of my will to update.

That usually stops all complaints about what I am doing biggrin.gif

--------------------
-----------------------
Céad Mile Fáilte

May God hold you in the hallows of his hands

American First, Irish Always

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
ctbard 
Posted: 30-Apr-2008, 10:17 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Connecticut

female

Take Ulsterscotnutt with you sailing, he does like to play the pirate.

--------------------
The devil whispered behind the leaves, it's pretty but is it art?
Rudyard Kipling
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 30-Apr-2008, 11:27 AM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

Camac, you know what you can handle and what you can't. Go for it! Hubby gets the same ol feedback from our daughters, "Dad needs to slow down", they think 62 is old! biggrin.gif

Sail Away!!! king.gif
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 30-Apr-2008, 12:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
42,909 Gold!

Go ahead. Tell 'em if worst happens, you died happy and content, if nothing bad happens you've had a great time and now have memories too precious to do without. Then end up with "Are you too selfish to let me live and/or die my own way?"

PS
You are 11 days older than my brother.

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
Camac
Posted: 30-Apr-2008, 12:58 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

QUOTE (TheCarolinaScotsman @ 30-Apr-2008, 01:27 PM)
Go ahead. Tell 'em if worst happens, you died happy and content, if nothing bad happens you've had a great time and now have memories too precious to do without. Then end up with "Are you too selfish to let me live and/or die my own way?"

PS
You are 11 days older than my brother.

To my new found allies thanks for the comments good advice from all. I was contemplating Infantacide but thats to drastic. I know they worry about me but I am a grown man and have been looking after myself for 25 years. Guess they just don't want me taking anymore chances. I am really looking forward to one last cruise around the lake. If all goes well I'll be on your side on or about the 3rd of July. Good way to start leave home on the 1st (Canada Day) spend July 4th in Oswego or Rochester then just cruise.
Thanks agaion all. cheers.gif cheers.gif
Camac.

Patch 
Posted: 30-Apr-2008, 02:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

I have had three heart attacks and have a nasty little heart rhythm problem now. When I was in Cleveland Clinic after bypass surgery in 2001, my youngest Daughter was there to take me home. I was getting my discharge instructions and when they came to the part about not driving, I interjected that I would be driving before that. My Daughter said,"Dad, I don't know when I lost control of you!" That hit a button and I popped back that I didn't know when she ever had control of me. I apologized to her later. As anyone who has followed my post knows, I a strong willed old fart and opinionated too! It is my plan to be fully active till the time I die. She didn't want going to Mexico for the winter (before the Illegal Alien problem got out of control.) She is getting better about those things though. She hasn't commented on any of my intended trips lately.

Slàinte,  

Patch
PMEmail Poster               
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 30-Apr-2008, 07:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
42,909 Gold!

And Patch, you are 2 days older than my brother.
Leelee 
Posted: 30-Apr-2008, 07:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Alberta, Canada

female

Camac, from what I am reading I think your children love you very much & do not want to lose you. I don't know about the relationship with your children, but to see you suffer through two, let alone one heart attack is extremely frightening & heart wrenching (excuse the pun) for them to go through, thinking they are going to lose their parent fear.gif (not to mention that I cannot imagine your experience, very scary).

Aye, they are holding on to you very tight, however they have to understand just because you have experienced these episodes, does not mean you shouldn't live & enjoy your life. smile.gif I am certain that they would care for the same treatment (respecting their choices ) if they lived through the same experiene.

Perhaps if you take someone with you (that you can stand being with) may ease their minds a bit....take care & enjoy life thumbs_up.gif All the best to you smile.gif
PM               
Patch 
Posted: 30-Apr-2008, 08:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

TheCarolinaScotsman

Some days I feel older than others but today is grand!

Slàinte,   

Patch
PMEmail Poster               
John Clements 
Posted: 01-May-2008, 08:33 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

Hi again Camac, this discussion reminds me of a credos of mine, which is simply to… “Just Keep Moving”, and it has also given me an idea for a new one, which is: I intend to die standing up. (At least then it won’t hurt when you hit the deck, the ground, or the water.)
So sail away my friend…Sail away!

JC

--------------------
We’re all poets, only some of us write it down. JC 9/27/08

Anyone who has the courage to disagree, deserves all do respect. JC 4/28/08

Life is a loosing battle, so you might as well live it up.
J.C. 3/29/08

Life should be like skiing, you have the most fun on the way down. J.C. 8/17/07

Take their word for it, and that’s just what you’ll get.
J.C. 3/19/07

Only the truth is worth the ultimate sacrifice.
J.C. 1/26/06

Compared to the far right, the far left is somewhere in the middle. J.C. 2/22/06

I’ll be the first to apologies, as long as I get one back.
J.C. 3/7/06

It’s a happy man, who can laugh at himself.

If you’re looking for a new experience, don’t hire someone with a lot of it. J.C. sometime in 1990
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 01-May-2008, 08:57 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

QUOTE (John Clements @ 01-May-2008, 09:33 AM)
Hi again Camac, this discussion reminds me of credos of mine, which is simply to… “Just Keep Moving”, and it has also given me an idea for a new one, which is: I intend to die standing up. (At least then it won’t hurt when you hit the deck, the ground, or the water.)
So sail away my friend…Sail away!

JC

JC.
When you go standing up make sure you have your boots on. laugh.gif laugh.gif .
I am trying to lease a Shark (Sailboat) like the one I use to own. There is a picture of one in my profile. They were designed and built specifically for Lake Ontario and they also turned out to be an excellent Blue Water boat. I sailed mine in the Gulf of St. Lawrence and in the Atlantic. One did the Trans Atlantic race in 29 days. Portsmouth (UK) to Newport (RI). Great boat.

Camac.

Aaediwen 
Posted: 01-May-2008, 06:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

I've been guilty of harping on my parents to slow down sometimes. But I figure that it'll be evident when they're about to over exert themselves and I don't tend to say anything until I can see they are feeling it too. Until then they're generally pretty good to go and I don't worry. But if I see one of them starting to have issues, I will urge them to slow down and rest.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Rindy 
Posted: 01-May-2008, 07:36 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

It's wonderful that they love you so much Camac. I am also guilty of loving my father, he is just the opposite. Give him a little love he takes so much you need to go to the hospital yourself. So I find myself being a little stricter with myself.

Those are some nice pictures! I say go for it as those grand days become less and less as you age! Do what you want while you still are able. Bon Voyage hope you will get some photos.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]