Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3618613.stm

Last Updated: Sunday, 11 April, 2004, 20:27 GMT 21:27 UK

E-mail this to a friend Printable version
Scientist mulls Anglo-Scottish split

Are Anglo-Scottish differences greater than we thought?

Cultural differences which divide the Scots and the English date back 10,000 years before Britain was an island, a professor has suggested.

Stephen Oppenheimer, of Oxford University, says genetic evidence shows Celts descended from ancient people living by the Atlantic coast.

The English are more closely related to Germanic people, he added.

The professor was due to speak about his theory at the Edinburgh Science Festival on Sunday.

In the past, the split was attributed to migration, invasion and replacement, in particular by the Anglo-Saxons, Celts and Vikings.

However, while conceding foreign invasions hundreds of years ago would have influenced the cultures in different areas, he does not believe the split originated then.

Professor Oppenheimer said: "The first line between the English and the Celts was put down at a much earlier period, say 10,000 years ago.

"The English are the odd-ones-out because they are the ones more linked to continental Europe.

"The Scots, the Irish, the Welsh and the Cornish are all very similar in their genetic pattern to the Basque."

This would mean Celts' roots lie in south west France, Brittany and Spain.

The theory is expanded in the professor's book The Real Eve: Modern Man's Journey Out of Africa, tracing the origins of humankind to Africa 80,000 years ago.

The talk called Out of Eden takes place at the Apex International Hotel in Grassmarket on Sunday.

--------------------
BARDDAS BLOG/WEB SITE

Co Founder/Member of the KDC

Music is holy, art is sacred, and creativity is power

Everyday is EARTH DAY to a farmer

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
Oscar Wilde

Some men are drawn to oceans, they cannot breathe unless the air is scented with a salty mist. Others are drawn to land that is flat, and the air is sullen and is leaden as August. My people were drawn to mountains- Earl Hamner Jr.

PMEmail Poster                
Catriona 
Posted: 13-Apr-2004, 07:44 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

I saw this yesterday, Barddas. Mind you, it's just what we were taught in primary school.... ie that we are more like the Bretons etc than the English!

I wonder if his talk was a sell-out or not?!
PMEmail Poster               
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 13-Apr-2004, 09:46 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

Thanks, Barddas. Looks like I'll have to add Professor Oppenheimer's book to my list of things to do.
This is a an area of study that appeals to me enough that I am a participant in the Clan Donald yDNA study. The preliminary results are quite interesting, and indicate that I had a paternal ancestor in the Ulster area before 322 AD. On a more general level, the results are starting to confirm the traditional Scots and Irish genealogies.
Now, which to read first--Professor Oppenheimer's book, or "In Search of Ancient Ireland," by Carmel McCaffery and Leo Eaton, which challenges a number of accepted "facts." For example, the authors argue that while the Irish adopted the Celtic culture, they are not necessarily Celtic genetically. Interestingly enough from my perspective, while the Clan Donald DNA results place me in an ancient Ulster genetic group, the results also show that my genetic group may not be Celtic genetically, but part of on the Cruithne tribes that was in Ireland before the arrival of the Celts.

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]