Posted: 08-Jan-2007, 12:25 PM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

Our great leader once again shows a complete inability to listen to anybody other than his Oil Co. Masters. I will support his ideas on the day Bush's daughters are in position on a street corner in Bagdhad.

From CNN:

Story Highlights• NEW: President Bush is set to unveil new Iraq strategy at 9 p.m. ET Wednesday
• Sources say Bush's plan will increase U.S. troops by at least 20,000
• Troops could be sent all at once or phased in, sources say
• Other recommendations would include a jobs program, reconstruction projects
Adjust font size:
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush's new plan for Iraq will call for increasing the number of U.S. troops in Baghdad -- and perhaps other areas -- by at least 20,000, sources said.

The question within the Bush administration has been whether to send all the troops in right away as a "big bang" force, or to phase them in from month to month, contingent on whether the Iraqi leadership meets certain political and military goals, sources said.

"The whole struggle ... is: What is [Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki] going to do about [Muqtada al-Sadr]?" one source said, referring to the radical Shiite cleric whose militia is suspected behind much of the sectarian violence. (Watch the battle brewing over a possible troop increase )

The phased-in approach "seems to be winning the day," the sources said.

"It also allows the Pentagon to get its people ready to go," one said.

Sources familiar with Bush's deliberations said White House speechwriters worked "around the clock" over the weekend to prepare the address for the plan's critical unveiling.

Over the next few days, the president will review and rework the speech, scheduled to be delivered at 9 p.m. ET Wednesday.

But House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-California, said Sunday an increase in troops "is contrary to ... the will of the American people -- they have spoken on this subject," referring to the Democratic victory in congressional elections, "but even the advice of [the president's] own generals."

Pelosi told CBS' "Face the Nation" that Bush isn't "listening to the generals ... and he's not listening to the American people."

She pointed to Gen. John Abizaid's Senate testimony last month that in his talks with Lt. Gen. Martin Dempsey and Gen. George Casey, "they believe that adding more troops will not improve the situation there."

And she cautioned that if Bush calls for additional U.S. troops, he will have to show the Democratic-controlled Congress why more money should be poured into the war. (Full story)

'New Way Forward'
The plan had been dubbed "A New Way Forward" as of last week.

Aspects of it have been widely agreed upon, although the plan's not final, said three sources familiar with deliberations.

CNN reported last month that Bush was considering sending in as many as 30,000 to 40,000 troops to escalate the war, increasing troop levels to their highest point in the nearly four-year-old conflict. That would mean there could be as many as 165,000 troops in Iraq.

Other reports indicated the U.S. troop increase would be closer to 20,000, with additional Iraqi forces making up the remainder of the "surge."

Sources said the White House was working to include some elements favored by Democrats and the Iraq Study Group, the bipartisan plan presented to Congress and Bush last month.

The elements include expanded training of Iraqi forces, redeployment of some U.S. troops outside of Iraq -- in places such as Kuwait -- and beefing up reconstruction projects.

They said Bush will talk about his faith in al-Maliki to confront the sectarian violence between the Sunni insurgency and Shiite militias.

New Deal-style jobs program planned
The sources said the plan will include a new jobs program -- what one source called a "make-work program similar to the New Deal." It is expected to cost at least $1 billion. The program would be in addition to pursuing other reconstruction projects with unused funds.

"There's also a lot in the pipeline, money on reconstruction that hasn't been used. People would build a water tower, or electric plant, get shot at and leave," a source said.

The thinking is that "the administration is trying to bridge a gap, to get the Iraqis to survive, to help those caught in the middle. Give them a job and the chance to make a few bucks," one source said

The plan will expand a program that provides jobs for Iraqis.

The U.S. State Department will beef up its "provincial reconstruction teams" -- agency officials who coordinate local reconstruction with Iraqi companies.

"The economy is dysfunctional because of lack of security," a source said.

Iran, Syria to be discussed
Sources said the president will tell the nation in his address why he believes it is not a good idea to engage Iran or Syria directly in talks regarding Iraq. The Iraq Study Group included U.S. talks with Iran and Syria among its key recommendations.

Sources said Bush also will call for a renewed effort to bring about peace between the Israelis and Palestinians.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice is scheduled to leave Friday for an extensive trip through the Middle East and Europe to sell the president's plan, sources said. Her stops will include Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Germany, England and Saudi Arabia.

More selling may be needed closer to home.

"Twenty thousand troops is not enough to deal with the problem," Sen. Joe Biden, D-Delaware, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said Sunday. "We're going to have American forces going door-to-door in neighborhoods in Baghdad, a town of 6 million people."

The president's fellow Republicans expressed reservations as well.

"I want to know how this surge will occur," Senate Minority Whip Trent Lott, R-Mississippi, said Sunday. "What will be the numbers? What will they do? What do they hope to achieve?"

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 08-Jan-2007, 01:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (maisky @ 08-Jan-2007, 01:25 PM)
I will support his ideas on the day Bush's daughters are in position on a street corner in Bagdhad.

I assume you mean as soldiers. unsure.gif

The news over the weekend has it that the "surge" will consist mostly of repeat or extended tours for experienced service people who are already over there and scheduled to come home soon. That is not going to be easy to sell.
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 09-Jan-2007, 04:47 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (stoirmeil @ 08-Jan-2007, 01:47 PM)
QUOTE (maisky @ 08-Jan-2007, 01:25 PM)
I will support his ideas on the day Bush's daughters are in position on a street corner in Bagdhad.

I assume you mean as soldiers. unsure.gif

Yes, as soldiers. But they will dodge anything more hazardous than a bar stool, just like their daddy.
PMEmail Poster               
John Clements 
Posted: 09-Jan-2007, 09:16 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

Hi guys, I find it amazing that you can still find the humor in this hellish nightmare, we’ve allowed ourselves to get into. The notion of Bushes daughters working a corner in Bagdad is hilarious, but only for a heart beat.
Thanks…JC

--------------------
We’re all poets, only some of us write it down. JC 9/27/08

Anyone who has the courage to disagree, deserves all do respect. JC 4/28/08

Life is a loosing battle, so you might as well live it up.
J.C. 3/29/08

Life should be like skiing, you have the most fun on the way down. J.C. 8/17/07

Take their word for it, and that’s just what you’ll get.
J.C. 3/19/07

Only the truth is worth the ultimate sacrifice.
J.C. 1/26/06

Compared to the far right, the far left is somewhere in the middle. J.C. 2/22/06

I’ll be the first to apologies, as long as I get one back.
J.C. 3/7/06

It’s a happy man, who can laugh at himself.

If you’re looking for a new experience, don’t hire someone with a lot of it. J.C. sometime in 1990
PMEmail Poster               
John Clements 
Posted: 03-Feb-2007, 09:39 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

I can’t take the credit for this Iraq exit strategy, but I think it’s a good one. It’s called… cars, trains, plains, and boats.

JC
PMEmail Poster               
John Clements 
Posted: 21-Feb-2007, 06:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

You know I was thinking about how we can bring the troops home from Iraq, and identify who the bad are, at the same time.

It’s really quite simple…

All we have to do is give our service men and woman, the option to come home, without any reprisals from our government.

Then the bad guys will be the ones left over.

Whether you agree with me or not, I think we are the ones, wearing the BLACK HATS, in this movie.

JC
PMEmail Poster               
John Clements 
Posted: 19-Mar-2007, 10:10 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

I think that the Iraqi exit strategy is a no brainier…
Just like the one used to get into this mess.

Take their word for it, and that’s just what you’ll get.
JC
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 19-Mar-2007, 11:39 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

Unfortunatley the "black hats" here are not in Iraq. They are in a large white building in Washington DC.
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 20-Mar-2007, 07:55 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (maisky @ 19-Mar-2007, 12:39 PM)
Unfortunatley the "black hats" here are not in Iraq. They are in a large white building in Washington DC.

Sure -- WE know that. The problem is that official government policy represents us all, and when you travel or communicate throughout the world, you are one of "the Americans." I spent a year in Germany in the early 80s, and I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard people of all ages, even some ignorant kids not half my age, refer disparagingly to something as being "typisch Ami", or typically American -- whether or not they knew I was one. It is why we have the right to be so infuriated when the government perpetrates a disaster in all of our names.
PMEmail Poster               
John Clements 
Posted: 20-Mar-2007, 12:32 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

QUOTE (stoirmeil @ 20-Mar-2007, 08:55 AM)
Sure -- WE know that.  The problem is that official government policy represents us all, and when you travel or communicate throughout the world, you are one of "the Americans."   I spent a year in Germany in the early 80s, and I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard people of all ages, even some ignorant kids not half my age, refer disparagingly to something as being "typisch Ami", or typically American -- whether or not they knew I was one.  It is why we have the right to be so infuriated when the government perpetrates a disaster in all of our names.

Exactly!
Why do you think I went to Costa Rica recently?

You know for years I’ve been thinking of bailing out of the land of the free, because I don’t feel so free anymore. Not to mention that the price of Popcorn in the movies is an insult to my intellect, such as it is?

And for those of you, (my country right or wrong,) people out there. I ask you, do you think that we would have had to bomb the hell out of Berlin. If the average Joe Blow German citizen, had stood up to what he knew, in his heart of hearts was a bad idea.

stoirmeil,
love you man.
JC

PS: The options of other places to live, is growing with every administrative decision.
PMEmail Poster               
Antwn 
Posted: 21-Mar-2007, 04:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: UDA ond o linach Cymry

male

QUOTE (John Clements @ 20-Mar-2007, 01:32 PM)
And for those of you, (my country right or wrong,) people out there. I ask you, do you think that we would have had to bomb the hell out of Berlin. If the average Joe Blow German citizen, had stood up to what he knew, in his heart of hearts was bad idea.

No, if the German people hadn't elected the Nazis into power and hadn't supported their totalitarian agenda, we might not have had WWII at all. However if German people had all moved to Costa Rica when they didn't feel free any longer, the Nazi effort wouldn't have been squashed either. wink.gif After all, they were facing infinitely greater economic woes than the price of popcorn.

--------------------
Yr hen Gymraeg i mi,
Hon ydyw iaith teimladau,
Ac adlais i guriadau
Fy nghalon ydyw hi
--- Mynyddog
PMEmail Poster               
John Clements 
Posted: 21-Mar-2007, 10:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

Well said, and most certainly true, but isn’t a shame that the solution to economic strife is war. It’s a beautiful thing.

JC

PMEmail Poster               
John Clements 
Posted: 24-May-2007, 08:56 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

So it looks like the Democrats have rolled over on withdrawing the troops, as part of the funding bill. And now I’ve heard that Crater face… Lieberman is going declare himself a republican. Which I would make the vote even, and so nothing will change. (Just the way they like it)

JC
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]