Irish Stepper's Journal

Irish Stepper -> Journal-> Old Dominion Feis

My Journal Entry

Add Entry   

Old Dominion Feis
Posted by Irish Stepper on Aug 17th, 2004 4:33 PM
Ok...I've gone and done it now. I entered into the Old Dominion Feis for September 11th. Like a friend said, what's the point in taking lessons, if you're not going to do something with them. I'll be competing in 5 different categories. Now, if only I could find a place with enough room to practice...

Please post your comments below.

Add Entry   

Boys Dancing
Posted by Macfive on Aug 19th, 2004 6:00 PM
My son was about 8 when he started dancing. All along we have stated to him that it is up to him if he dances or does not. He knows it too that he can quite if he wants to. I think giving him this 'power' has made him want to dance all the more.

He is very proud of the fact that he dances and has run across a few good male role models for him to look up too. When he attended dance camp this summer, one of his hall mates was an 18 year old male that danced at his High School Graduation party. He stated his friends had alot more respect for him when they saw him dance.

At the sametime I have witnessed clearly a young boy being forced to dance by his parents. His self-esteem was so low that it was pitiful.

We try to reinforce to our kids that they are dancing for themselves and no one else. They should enjoy it, have fun and make new friends at it - which they do. At the sametime we insist that if they choose to be in dancing, then there is an expectation that they will practive! smile.gif

You GO DAD!!!
Posted by Irish Stepper on Aug 18th, 2004 12:36 PM
Well, you're brave! I danced at an Irish Festival a few weeks ago. It was just for fun, and I enjoyed it! My boys like watching me dance.

I've been debating if I'm going to put them in dance. My dance school is about 85 miles away, which is a long trip to make every weekend. I know I love it...I'm just worried about what kind of teasing will happen at school from other boys in their class.

Good For You!
Posted by Macfive on Aug 17th, 2004 8:30 PM
It is great to hear not only the little ones getting into this dance. I think your kids will be so proud of you! In my neck of the woods, the Highland Dancing is mainly a girls competitions. Although, my son does dance and a few other boys throughout New England. There is also 2 guys, one in the late 20s, the other in their 30's that dance at these competitions! Its so great to see them dance and it gives the kids something to aspire too (especially the few boys). I even did a benefit dance and got up on stage and danced 16 paddy bys with high cuts. biggrin.gif

Number of times Journal has been viewed:

Homepage Journal is a service of CelticRadio.net!